Author Topic: Peter APPLEYARD of Tadcaster  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Lee Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Peter APPLEYARD of Tadcaster
« on: Monday 05 March 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I've hit a brick wall in researching my convict ancestor Peter Appleyard born roughly 1809 (estimated from age on 1st marriage record) in Tadcaster, possibly to Peter and Ann Appleyard (names on death certificate in Australia with 2nd wife as informant). I've not been able to find his birth/baptism record or any information on his parents. Does anyone have access to any of the Parish Records in and around Tadcaster that may be able to help me locate my mystery ancestor?

The earliest reference I can find to him is when he married Ann Sheppard on 5th Jan 1829 in Tadcaster and they had three children: Robert (b. 1829) and John (b. 1831) and Frances (b. 1834).

On 14th Feb 1829, Peter is mentioned in the Yorkshire Gazette as being charged with stealing a ‘number of fowls’ from Mr F. Bootland. Peter was found guilty of larceny in April 1829 and sentenced to 1-month imprisonment at the House of Corrections in York. Peter is mentioned in the Yorkshire Gazette on 30th Aug 1834 and again in the York Herald on 18th Oct 1834 as being charged with stealing four ducks from Thomas Powell. On 17th Oct 1834, he was found guilty for stealing and sentenced to seven years transportation at the York City Quarter Session. On 18th Nov 1834, Peter was taken from City Gaol to be delivered aboard the ‘Ganymede’ prison hulk at Woolwich. Peter was transported to Van Diemen's Land on the ‘Norfolk’ on 12th May 1835 from Sheerness. He remarried in Hobart to Harriet Ann Wheatley in 1843 and moved to the Colony of Victoria in 1845 and settled in Alberton. He had a further 9 children in Australia.

NOTE: There is a Peter Appleyard born 1809 at Rothwell to Samuel and Elizabeth Appleyard that is often confused with my Peter but I'm fairly sure this Peter fits with an individual in the 1851 Census, which is after my Peter Appleyard had already been transported. It looks like this Peter was a clothier who married Mary Ann Turner in 1830 and died in 1878 in Halifax.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
- Ross (Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
- Clark (Bellie, Moray, Scotland)
- Parker (Bristol, England/West Indies)
- Appleyard (Tadcaster, Yorkshire, England)
- Wheatley (London, England)
- Gallagher (County Donegal, Ireland)
- Lambert (County Limerick, Ireland)
- Casbolt (Cambridgeshire, England)
- Slavin (County Armagh, Ireland)
- McBride (County Armagh, Ireland)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter APPLEYARD of Tadcaster
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I can't see anything further on Peter in the parish registers for Tadcaster.  Just as a matter of interest, do you have Peter's second marriage certificate?  How are his parents named on that?  I only have a 1918 Australian marriage entry, and so earlier ones may not give so much information.  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Lee Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB for looking in the Tadcaster registers for me!
Do you have access to any of the surrounding parishes by any chance?

His marriage certificate to Harriet Wheatley in 1843 doesn't have either parents names unfortunately. I haven't been able to find a marriage announcement either - seems unlikely for Hobart at the time given his ex-convict status, but maybe not so much for her more middle class life there.

The only Appleyards I've come across for the right time period in Tadcaster are:

- William Appleyard (aged 20) of Leeds and Mary Abbey (aged 19) of Tadcaster married 4 Jun 1816 had child John born 1817. William is listed as a tailor. One of the witnesses to Peter and Ann's marriage in 1829 was a Joseph Backhouse and in 'Pigot and co.'s national commercial directory for 1828-9', Joseph Backhouse and a William Appleyard are both listed as tailors in Tadcaster...maybe a link??
- Tobias Appleyard (aged 29) and Mary Jones (aged 27), both of Tadcaster, married on 5 Jun 1819.
- Thomas Appleyard and Jane Coates, both of Tadcaster, married on 16 Aug 1828 had son William born 1830.

Can't link any to my Peter Appleyard but I'm hopeful they fit in somehow to provide a clue!

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can see the 1829 reference to Appleyard and Backhouse, plus 1822 and 1834.  I also think that Joseph was a church warden - he is a witness to a number of marriages.  But that doesn't help with Peter  :-\

I'll have a look through my library of Tadcaster information (one of my families came from there - Archbell).

I'll be back!

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Lee Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Oh that would be fantastic! Any clues of where to continue my search for Peter and his family would be really helpful - Thanks  :)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I've been on to North Yorkshire Records Office - possibly to locate any Non-Conformist records for Tadcaster.  Only marriages from 1903, so no joy there. FindMyPast have the Bishop's Transcripts for the whole of Yorkshire, and parish registers for North Yorkshire - Tadcaster moved from West Riding to North Yorkshire at some point in time.

There is at least one tree on Ancestry which lists Peter, as the son of Samuel and Elizabeth - but it's a bit suspect!!   :o  Peter is simultaneously in Oz and Yorkshire  ::)

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Lee Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
There was a book written in 1986 called 'Lowlands : brief history of the Appleyards family' that lists Samuel and Elizabeth as Peter's parents. And I think a bit of confusion has arisen since as the only baptism record available for a Peter Appleyard is the Rothwell one, so many trees seem to have listed them as his parents but unfortunately it doesn't seem like they can be.
However, it's been a struggle to find his real parents, the Appeyards of Tadcaster seem to have disappeared from the records or at least are sitting in hiding waiting to be found!

I appreciate you checking the North Yorkshire Records Office for me though - thanks!

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
As Peter and Ann had a son Frances born in 1834, it's possibly a family name as there was a Frances Appleyard born in Tadcaster in 1806:

Frances Appleyard born 17th March 1806 to William Appleyard, staymaker, of Tadcaster, son of - Appleyard of Bramham and Ann Fisher daughter of John Fisher, staymaker, Tadcaster and Elizabeth Hide, daughter of John Hide, cordwainer, Tadcaster.

Frances Appleyard died 4th April 1806, son of William, staymaker. Buried 6th April 1806, in churchyard Tadcaster.

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Another son born to William and Ann:

Horatio Appleyard born Monday 10th May 1802, baptised Wednesday 10th November 1802 to William Appleyard, staymaker of Tadcaster, son of - Appleyard of Bramham and Ann Fisher, daughter of Ann Fisher, staymaker, Tadcaster, by Elizabeth, daughter of John Hide, cordwainer.