Author Topic: Nonsensical Shared DNA match  (Read 868 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nonsensical Shared DNA match
« on: Monday 05 March 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone had similar and/or can offer up an Explanation as I can't?

I have a Moderate confidence 5th-8th cousin match with user XX. Ancestry says we have a shared ancestor, but the shared ancestor makes no sense (to me!). The shared ancestor is Anne Davies (nee Davies) my 3rd Great Grandmother, mother of my second great grandmother Elizabeth Davies. Anne Davies was a spinster when she married her husband David Davies and did not marry again. For XX it states that the descendant from Anne Davies is Richard Daniel their 2nd Great Grand Uncle!

There is no Anne Davies in XX's tree. Parents for Richard Daniel in their tree is David Daniel and a Hannah Davies (born 1810 Carmarthenshire). I have no David or Richard Daniel in my tree. I do have a Hannah Davies but born 1824 Rhydargaeau, Carmarthenshire.

Can't make any sense of this?

Regards

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Nonsensical Shared DNA match
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:26 GMT (UK) »
could it be a birth son who was adopted by the daniels family ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nonsensical Shared DNA match
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Shared ancestor hints are Ancestry's way of trying to see if they can find a match for you without you having to do any work.  I have found most matches to ancestor hints are valid, the occasional one is way off track.

Ignore the ancestor hint and see if you can find another connection between you by searching for surnames and/or locations.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go