Author Topic: Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?  (Read 5739 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, unfortunately this looks to be his death:-

Two records showing on v11b page 360 Bangor March qtr 1877, as either Thomas William Hughes or Thomas Williams Hughes aged 12
Keyboard86

His burial record shows as Thos Williams Hughes 12th March 1877 Llangoed aged 12 address Wrexham Street, Beaumaris
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, located the 1851 census for Maurice O Connell:-

Maurice O Connell 30 Teacher of Arithmetic b Ireland
Elizabeth 10 b Ireland
John 8 b Ireland
Sarah 6 b Ireland
Michael 1 b Llaneigfred?, Anglesey
Jane 26 Wife occ Schoolmistress b Llangoed
Residing at Menai Bridge, Llandesilis
Census ref HO107/2517/312/21

Birth registration Michael O Connell March qtr 1850 Anglesey Union v 27 page 394 mmn Williams

I also note on the 1861 census in Carlisle a George H H Connell aged 5, he was baptised as George Head Connell 21st January 1856 Stanwix Father Maurice Mother Jane, his death looks to be as George Head H Connell Sept qtr 1870 Newcastle T aged 14, the only birth registration that fits his birth is the Michael Edward Connell Dec qtr 1855 Carlisle v10b page 366 mmn Williams?
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 09 March 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, ok I see on your Private Tree you were aware of both Michael b 1850 and George H H Connell even though you could not provide the 1851 census in Menai Bridge, no problem, in case your tree does not have the  date of burial for Michael it was 10th February 1855 Stanwix aged 5
You also started another thread looking for the marriage of Maurice to Jane in Ireland stating "You have found Jane O'Connell b 1848 Ireland in 1851" you did'nt I did, no problem?!
Keyboard86

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 09 March 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »
No no, I didn't intend for it to sound like I found Jane! Not at all... I meant it as in "I found the census that you found after trying to find it on ancestry all d%*n day!!"  ;) I'm sorry if it was lost in translation!! Concentrating on this AND being a Mom, taking dogs for walks,etc., it's hard to get back "on the same page" that I left previously. ;)

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 09 March 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Also- this is disjointed because my kids are being background noise- I'm in the process of whittling multiple trees down into one or two solid trees. I previously would not bother working on a tree that I'd started months prior and just start a new one, each with different info  :-\. I'm working on remedying that as I type. I appreciate the info on Michael and George, though. I had information pertaining to them in letters written by my great great Aunt Elizabeth L Connell to my great great Grandfather John (or Jack) Connell (who immigrated with Ann(a) Hughes to the US..). Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 09 March 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
 :) Look no problem at all, as a matter of interest I have got a noisy pub crowd interrupting my thought processes as I type!

As I see it we must find in Ireland the marriage of Maurice to Jane ( why was she there at what looks a young age)
Mary married to Edward Hughes b Wicklow daughter of Thomas Williams (What was Thomas doing there ) baptisms of John & David Williams ( What happened to David aged 22 occ Blacksmith after 1851 )
Keyboard86

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 09 March 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I understand completely- I JUST came from a noisy pub (I'm fortunate that's it literally across the road from my house)!

The questions you have are the same ones I have, LOL. I did a bit of middle of the night/insomnia googling for schools and education in the 1840s on the Arran Isles and/or Galway. The only thing I took away from it was that at that time there was a massive push by Protestants to teach Protestantism under the guise of free public education in W. Ireland. Considering that both Maurice and Jane were teachers, it may fit. As far as why Mary Williams was born in Ireland... no idea.

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 10 March 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
:) If you look back to the 1851 for Jane Oconnell aged 3 b Ireland, we need to know of the eg David aged 22 that you were not aware of as possible brother to Jane/Catherine

In the 1851 census David is described as grandson of Thomas Williams, 71 (and so son or nephew of Jane/Catherine?).

There is a possible baptism in Llangoed parish records:
28 Sep 1828 - David illegitimate son of James Macfy (?), bachelor, Dublin & Margaret Williams, spinster, Llangoed. The transcription on FindMyPast is David Macfy.

Among Llangoed baptisms is:

Margaret - 14 Nov 1804 - dau. of Thomas Williams by Elizabeth his wife.

Other baptisms at Llangoed with the same parent names (Jane 1820 and Catherine 1808 have already been noted) are:
Catherine 22 Feb 1807
Anne 17 Apr 1814 - abode Rhyd(?), Mariner
Elizabeth 16 Nov 1817 - Portobello, Sailor

but no John.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Achill P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I just recently joined Rootschat and came upon your discussion.

A Thomas Williams was paid off from RC Success in 1821 (aged 34) and posted to Jack’s Hole Coastguard Station in Co Wicklow where he remained until moved on to Mizen Head CGS in 1826 and later Achill Island. A Mary Anne Williams was baptised in Wicklow on 22 September 1822  - parents Thomas and Elizabeth Williams. This may be your Mary Williams and explains why Co Wicklow. However, her ages from the later UK censuses don’t match this dob. Thomas Williams remained in the coastguard in Ireland, as a boatman, until pensioned off on £35 per year in April 1847. If it’s the same man, he reappears in the UK census in 1851 and 1861. I believe my gggrandmother Margaret Williams to be a daughter of his, but I’ve never been able to make the connection. She married and lived all her life on Achill Island, Co Mayo. According to her death record she was born in 1812. Family tradition has it that she came from, or from near, Beaumaris.
Can anyone help me make the connection?