Author Topic: Can you recognise this uniform?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retirement is a problem - you never get a day off.
    • View Profile
Can you recognise this uniform?
« on: Monday 05 March 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help?  This photograph in my collection has, written on the back, the words "Sinclair who", followed by "my uncle", written by my grandfather (Francis Edmond 1881-1966), whose mother was a Sinclair.  The family came from Aberdeen, and the coastline certainly looks as if it could be Aberdeenshire.  I have been unable to work out who this is, and wondered if I had a clue as to the uniform it might help?
Paternal: WEBB, CRADDUCK, NAYLOR, CROUCHER, DAVISON, NEWPORT, WHITEHEAD, SMITH (Kent). Maternal: EDMOND, MAITLAND, SINCLAIR, BLACK, SPARK, CROMBIE (Aberdeen); GRANT, POST, TOMLINSON, NORFOLK (Lincolnshire)

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can you recognise this uniform?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
This query is associated with the uniform query earlier.  I've attached an enlargement of the medals on my grandfather's uncle's chest in the hope that someone might recognise them?  Unless I'm mistaken, medals worn on the right (left as you look at the image) usually signifies that they were awarded to another family member, such as a father or uncle.  Does anyone recognise either of these two?  Many thanks for your help.
Paternal: WEBB, CRADDUCK, NAYLOR, CROUCHER, DAVISON, NEWPORT, WHITEHEAD, SMITH (Kent). Maternal: EDMOND, MAITLAND, SINCLAIR, BLACK, SPARK, CROMBIE (Aberdeen); GRANT, POST, TOMLINSON, NORFOLK (Lincolnshire)

Offline rossdad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Cant help with the uniform , don't think its an armed service one.

The background looks like an studio backdrop so may not mean to represent anywhere in particular

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
No idea about the uniform but I wonder if the lighthouse could be Todhead? If so it's Kincardineshire.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO8676

It doesn't look like Girdleness http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ9705.
It is definitely not Rattray Head http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ9705
The foreground isn't right for Kinnaird Head http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ9967

Though as rossdad says it might not be a specific lightouse.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - should have pointed out that the background was just that - a studio background, very popular at the time.  The family being from the Aberdeen area I assumed it would be local, and now it has been pointed out, from what little I've seen, Kincardineshire seems more likely.  Many thanks for your input - I'll do a little research on Todhead.

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It might be a complete red herring, but I read at the weekend that awards for life saving could be worn on the right for Royal Navy personnel.  I was watching Kenneth More in the film'Sink the Bismarck' and wondered why one of the admirals had a medal ribbon on the right, as well as a clutch of ribbons on the left where one would expect them to be  ::)

If your man was connected to the sea (or lighthouses as suggested on the other thread) it might be something worth exploring.

Best wishes

Brian
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Please note I have merged these 2 topics
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Brian - I'm keen to follow up on any herrings, red or otherwise.  John

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Forfarian - looks like Todhead is the answer - see attached photo.
John