Author Topic: Can you recognise this uniform?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Can you recognise this uniform?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Would it be worth contacting the Northern Lighthouse Board to see if it might be a lighthouse keeper. I don't know if they wore uniforms in those days but it's possible? https://www.nlb.org.uk/

Or the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses? http://lighthousemuseum.org.uk/ (one of my absolutely favourite museums).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
The nearest that I got was an old police uniform. I note that there is no badge on the cap, but there seels to be shoulder buttons. The fit in the picture does not seem quite right for the gentleman wearing it, and the hanging of the "medals" seems to have been pinned in a slapdash way. I wonder if the uniform etc are just studio props.

Malky

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retirement is a problem - you never get a day off.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
I take on board both comments, and will certainly explore the possibility that he had something to do with the lighthouse, although I suspect that the backdrop was coincidence.  Many thanks for your interest.
John
Paternal: WEBB, CRADDUCK, NAYLOR, CROUCHER, DAVISON, NEWPORT, WHITEHEAD, SMITH (Kent). Maternal: EDMOND, MAITLAND, SINCLAIR, BLACK, SPARK, CROMBIE (Aberdeen); GRANT, POST, TOMLINSON, NORFOLK (Lincolnshire)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I also dont think the uniform or the medals are military.  The star is similar to some campaign medals but lacks the crossed swords.   

The suggestion of Lighthouse Keeper uniform or even Railway Station Master , Tram Driver or similar may be worth following up. Have a look at the uniforms on this link.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=early+railway+uniforms&dcr=0&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Ga3USom-Cx5ORM%253A%252CbwmZC60TlKPOsM%252C_&usg=__XVP97tdbIkH_at0ABMbMSOBSDg0%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihj-KWkNjZAhVCDMAKHSKTCzgQ9QEINDAC#imgrc=Fu7XEgxdtbp5GM:
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline jfdandmewebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retirement is a problem - you never get a day off.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. Had a good look through the very comprehensive collection without any luck.  I also looked at the uniforms page for ACT (Aberdeen Corporation Tramways), and while there are similarities, there are no twisted braid epaulettes and cap bands, and no sleeve/cuff markings.  These seem to be the key.  The search continues.
Paternal: WEBB, CRADDUCK, NAYLOR, CROUCHER, DAVISON, NEWPORT, WHITEHEAD, SMITH (Kent). Maternal: EDMOND, MAITLAND, SINCLAIR, BLACK, SPARK, CROMBIE (Aberdeen); GRANT, POST, TOMLINSON, NORFOLK (Lincolnshire)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find one with the sleeve braids, single breasted and a mandarin collar is proving difficult except for Canada.

Malky