Author Topic: Are these women one in the same? Emily Johnson?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are these women one in the same? Emily Johnson?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I think she's probably the same woman -

I'll see what I can do with the 1880s pic later on this evening  and compare with the brooch one and one of the later ones in the blouse. 

I'm in the middle of cooking at the moment.  I'll be back.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Please take your time. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Happy cooking!  ;)
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Cavan, Ireland: Kiernan
Co. Sligo, Ireland: McGowan

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

London, England:  Smith/Smyth
Scotland: McGoun

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Could you give me full details of the couple and their children. I just have their birth dates and death dates from your first posting but not where they were born/ married/died, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I'll get back to you on that later on this evening Gadget.

I will provide you all the details that I have.

Thanks again!
Claddagh
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Here we go Gadget.

Husband:  James Johnson
Son of: Robert Johnson and Catherine Donnelly
Born: Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Date: July 4, 1865
Death Date: Unknown but it is prior to 1909 and probably in London, England or Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.
Buried: Unknown
He is one of nine children.

Wife: Emily Smith or Smyth. We believe (no proof) that she was born in London, England in 1866.
Family: Unknown but a relative thinks that her parents might be Frederick Smyth and Elizabeth Pakenham and that their daughter Emily was born on October 22, 1865 in Coolattin and Clonegall, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.

Died: March 11, 1901 in Marylebone, St. John, London, England of Asthemia Pulmonary Tubercle. I just found her death certificate in my files. We are convinced that she is our Emily.

Marriage Certificate: We believe that this is their marriage certificate even though the names are misspelled because in a letter written by their daughter to her oldest brother, she mentions that it was her parents’ wedding anniversary and the dates corroborate. I was told that the marriage certificate was not filed and that is the reason why the name of her father has never been found.

I have the information for their first two sons. I am only missing when the first born son Robert James Johnson immigrated to Canada. I am starting to believe that he might have been a Home School Child and sent over to Canada. He was 14 when his mother died and in the Census of Ireland, 1901 his brother Edward Patrick and sister Emily Catherine are living with his paternal grandmother Catherine Donnelly Johnson but he is nowhere to be found. He appears in the 1911 Census of Canada. I cannot for the life of me find his father James Johnson who had been in the military for many years.

Children:

Son: Robert James Johnson (genealogy traced) born in Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland, died in Canada.

Son: Edward Patrick Johnson (genealogy traced) born in Tynte Park, Co. Wicklow, Ireland, died in Canada.

Son: Gregory Lennon Johnson
Born: May 4, 1895
Place of Birth: Toberbeg, Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Died: 1897 in Marylebone, Middlesex, England

Daughter: Emily Catherine Johnson
Born: May 24, 1898
Place of Birth: London, England

Died: July-Sept 1913 in Banbridge, Co. Down, Northern Ireland where she is buried with family. She is listed as Emily Johnston. She was living with her paternal Aunt Bridget Byrne after she left the Sisters of Nazareth where she stayed from 1909-1911 so I assume that this is her. She was brought to Belfast Union on September 9, 1911 in consumption. Could she have suffered from this disease until her death in 1913? Poor child, I feel for her. The handwritten letter that I have from her is dated from October, 1912 and she is living with her Aunt in Banbridge, 8 Ashley Street, Co. Down. I have not found her death certificate.

I was given the following information by someone but not too sure where to go to find out if this is our Emily Catherine Johnson.

Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 for Emily Johnston
Name:   Emily Johnston
Registration District:   Banbridge
Event Type:   DEATHS
Registration Quarter and Year:   Jul - Sep 1913
Estimated Birth Year:   1898
Age (at Death):   15
Mother's Maiden Name:   
Film Number:   0101605
Volume Number:   1
Page Number:   87
Digital Folder Number:   4201709
Image Number:   00574

If you need anything else Gadget, I will drop by later on tonight. I’ve included the marriage certificate for James Johnston and Emily Smyth as well as the unconfirmed birth certificate of Emily Smith/Smyth.

Thank you so much for your kindness! My Johnson family has been my eternal brick wall. Hopefully you can shed some light.

Claddagh

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I have found the birth certificate of Emily to the parents that you mention. Frederick is recorded as an Excise man, which might explain a trip to London  :-\

Here's the link, if you don't have it:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03554/2308808.pdf

Gadget

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget! I certainly hope this is our Emily. How wonderful if it is. I didn't have this document. I appreciate the link. This website is new to me.

I'd like to ask you if you might point me in the right direction.

I am trying to locate the family of Edward Donnelly.

James Johnson marries Emily Smith/Smyth
James's parents Robert Johnson and Catherine Donnelly
Catherine's parents Edward Donnelly and Elizabeth Heyden
Elizabeth's parents William Heyden and Elizabeth Hutchinson (daughter of Patrick Hutchinson and Judith Whelan)
Edward's parents ???

Edward and Elizabeth were married on October 11, 1832 in Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.
They had four children including Catherine.
I cannot find a birth certificate for Catherine and her older sister Mary.
The other two children Bridget and John, I have births but not birth places.
Elizabeth Heyden was born in Co. Laois, Ireland.

Where do you suggest I head next? I feel like a detective searching for the next clue.

Thanks again!
Claddagh

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 21:42 GMT (UK) »
The 1880's scan is very bad. It's very low resolution and heavily compressed.

This is what I get when I remove the colour cast and enlarge it 2x. (Em-1) I've adjusted it a little bit there is littel to work on, especially the eye.  I could draw in the features but that would be just a drawing. I've also put up a smoother version but have not corrected any of the blotches (Em-2). I've reduced the contrast to eliminate the nasty pixels but these are definitely not restores as yet.

If you were sent it, there's not a lot that you can do. Maybe you could get back to the sender and ask for it to be scanned at  600 dpi resolution  and with  compression.

The face shape (although plumper that the later Emilys), hairline and style, the ears and how she holds her head are so like the older Emily that I think it is her. Im not sure what she was doing in that part of London. Maybe she was there just before she was married or even a honeymoon, though no rings are showing.

I'm busy tomorrow and Thursday but will try to see if I can come up with something  on them all over the next few days. Maybe Wiggy might have a go  :-\

If you can get a re-scan that would be better.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
My browser threw a wobbly i nthe middle of that.

Here's Em2