Author Topic: Are these women one in the same? Emily Johnson?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are these women one in the same? Emily Johnson?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 March 18 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Is there any chance of a clearer scan of the first woman? The surface looks very rough so it's difficult to see the features.  I have one of my grandmother where the surface is rough and it's very difficult to get the features back  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 March 18 22:41 GMT (UK) »
A quick comparison

Think they do look very alike.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 March 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I'll see what I can do. The photo is dirty and has patina but thankfully the face is clean. I will post something clearer.

Thanks again!
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Cavan, Ireland: Kiernan
Co. Sligo, Ireland: McGowan

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

London, England:  Smith/Smyth
Scotland: McGoun

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 March 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I think that the two women could definitely be one in the same. Emily died at 35. Do you think that the first photo is someone older? Would the style of clothing be worn after 1901 or before?

???
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 March 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
The first one (1880s) is younger than the second one. She has the chubbier cheeks of a younger woman but her hair was up so it would date her to mid-late 1880s. What di she die of, as the later one looks quite ill - drawn face and quite pale  :-\

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 March 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
I do not know what she died of but I think that I heard it was Tuberculosis. She and her family are a mystery but I can tell you that her life and the lives of her husband and children are one tragedy after another. He husband was a military man and naturally he was away for long periods of time. They were deeply devoted to each other but tragedy struck with the death of a son, then the wife dies, the husband and their daughter is cared for by a grandmother, then an aunt and she ends up with the Sisters of Nazareth. She eventually spends her final years with her loving Auntie. Poor Emily who we all believe was a Protestant marries a Catholic Irishman for love and had a difficult life until her death. We know nothing of her family and we've been told that she was disowned for marrying a Catholic Irishman. They moved from Ireland to England (where the two younger children were born) and were often separated from their children. It must have been devastating for the children. The two eldest sons emigrated to Canada and the eldest brother tried to bring Emily to Canada but due to illness the immigration officials wouldn't let her cross the oceans. She had been brought to the hospital with consumption. I feel such sadness when I think of all that they endured. I have a heartbreaking letter written by the daughter who dies before reaching adulthood and you can see how hard her poor life has been. How fortunate we are to be born in this era. Sorry for the long message but it clarifies the look on poor Emily's face. She did not have it easy like so many of our ancestors. Thanks for reading and understanding why these ancestors need a voice!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
When we dig, we often find such sad stories and great fortitude shown by our ancestors.
Your Emily looks quite ill in those photos, that's why I asked.

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Very well said Gadget. I'm attaching two photos. This is as clear as I can get. The photo is so dirty. Do you know how to safely clean photos? I would like to be able to make this lady shine again.

Thanks again for lending a hand! Your information is invaluable to me.

BTW Gadget, my profile photo is Emily Smith Johnson, the lady in these photos. You could use that photo as well to compare. I've also attached the lovely photo of Emily in the intricate brooch. The story in the family is that her father was an English jeweller. Would be interesting if he had been.

Claddagh

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
A lovely photo of Emily Smith.

I was told to always look at the ears because they are a key identifier for comparing photos.

I believe that all these ladies are one in the same through various stages of her brief 35 years. Although we have no birth certificate for Emily Smith, she could have been even younger.

Thanks again everyone for dropping by and lending a hand!
Claddagh