Author Topic: Got a brick wall?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Got a brick wall?
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
For TNA, I'm transcribing crew lists of crewmen who served during WWI and often pre and post war too and have just transcribed the details of one crewman who not only gave a false name, he gave a false date of birth when he signed on in 1903.  Notes at the bottom of his records say that the dob was to be adhered to (22.8.1875) even though the true date was 22.6.1869.  I've done a search of birth records and there is no one of either name born in 1869 or 1875, so this man has really re-written his history to disappear. 

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Got a brick wall?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
So that's where uncle Fred went. So glad you were able to find him and I can now add him to my tree!  ;D

Brie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Apart from the fact this man was in the navy between 1903 and 1922, I would have said he was my g.g.grandfather George William.

As it happens, none of the names he used were either George, William or Fred  :)

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
The DoB on my grandfather's Merchant Navy record is exactly a year and a day away from that on his birth certificate.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 18 06:48 BST (UK) »
One of my great grandfather's brothers actually put his age DOWN to join the Navy, giving his brother's birth details. No idea why. At least I have finally found him, at least until 1870. That is the limit of the records I can find online at the National Archives.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.