Author Topic: 31 Queens Street, Carnoustie  (Read 1563 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
31 Queens Street, Carnoustie
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to find out who lived at 31 Queens Street Carnoustie in 1922. I have tried al the usual places like Scotlands People, Ancestry, Find My Past etc with no luck.
My ancestors emigrated to America but came back to visit on a regular basis. When they returned they stayed with their family in Carnoustie with one exception, in 1922 Nora Malloch nee Masterton and her children were staying with her mother at 5 Lochty Street and that was the address on their travel documents. When they went back home to America they gave 31 Queens Street, Carnoustie as their address in Scotland. This is a puzzle because Nora had family in Carnoustie and normally stayed with them so unless there were other members at Queen Street I have no idea why she was there.
Does anyone know where I can find this information please.
Thank you
Alison

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Queens Street, Carnoustie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you tried the NRS they have the complete electoral rolls from 1855 onwards

Or Carnoustie is in Angus you could try Dundee Libraries as I do know they hold the Angus census

Although I don't know if they're able to search by address

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Great, I will try the library now, thanks

Alison

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you tried the NRS they have the complete electoral rolls from 1855 onwards

Or Carnoustie is in Angus you could try Dundee Libraries as I do know they hold the Angus census

Although I don't know if they're able to search by address

Might be better to try Angus Archives. They are the repository of Angus Council's records and definitely have a full set of VRs. http://archive.angus.gov.uk/historyaa/archives/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarain I will get on to them now
Alison

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
don't know if you have been to library or not ,had a wee look while i was in there ,couldnt find 31 Queen street....found all the other numbers ,29 ,33 & 34 (LOL),
also couldnt find who lived at Lochty street, BUT when googled it a photo of  5 Lochty street came up ,..it seems to be a big house,with 5 bedrooms.

Snowolf
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
" Myles".. ( Scone, Perthshire , Scotland).
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.
"Robertson"..Perthshire ,Scotland)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Snowolf. I live in England so wouldn't have been able to get to the library in person which makes it very kind of you to help. I tried phoning but was asked to e-mail which was on my list for the weekend.

Wouldn't you know it - the one house I am interested in is missing from the records!!

I wonder if it is coincidence or part of the mystery.

Thank you again

Alison

Offline hagg1sr00ts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Please find link below to view 1922-1923 Dundee directory, including, Monifieth, Carnoustie, Newport, Tayport and Wormit.

These directories were published annually, and lists names and addresses for the 6 towns listed for that year, hope you are lucky.

Carnoustie pages start at page number 901

https://archive.org/details/dundeedirectory192223dund

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, these will be interesting on many levels, the difficulty will be in not getting distracted by names and places!