Author Topic: Aran Island Schools in 1840s  (Read 294 times)

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aran Island Schools in 1840s
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I know this may be a shot in the dark, however it's worth a try.

I'm trying to find any info relating to Maurice O'Connell (or Connell) and his wife, Jane Williams. He was born in Ireland in/around 1820 (no idea where), she was born on Anglesey in 1820/1821 as well. I know that they had three children while living in Ireland, and I recently found a Wales census form from 1851 relating to their daughter Jane O'Connell (b. 1848) as being born on "Aran Isle". They had two other children born in Ireland, and I would assume it would be Aran or Galway as well. They are Elizabeth L. O'Connell b.1841 and John (or Jack) O'Connell b.1843.

I do know that Maurice was a school teacher and worked as an arithmetics teacher on Anglesey in 1851 (he died in 1859 in Carlisle), and that his wife Jane was a schoolmistress in 1851 as well. I'm hoping that someone can point in the proper direction regarding how to find info about Aran, etc., as I've hit a brick wall.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aran Island Schools in 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the Isle of Aran museum, they hold the archive for the social history of Aran.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link! However I haven't a clue if they were RC or not. I know that Maurice O'Connell and Jane Williams would have been married around 1840/- 1 or 2y (their daughter Elizabeth L. O'Connell was born in 1841...) and these records don't cover the dates needed. :( Thanks so much though! Any little bit helps..