Author Topic: Which registers still to do on Lancashire OPC?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Which registers still to do on Lancashire OPC?
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
This question may have been asked before, but is there an easy way to discern which registers have not been published on Lancashire OPC?

I can't find any record on the OPC of my GGG-grandparents who died in Newton-with-Scales in 1864/1869. I'd like to understand which nearby churches (they lived in Newton-with-Scales) have been processed and by deduction, they should be in one of the other ones.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which registers still to do on Lancashire OPC?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I suppose one easy way is to check with parishes to see if the one you want is there.

Genuki doesn’t show a church for Newton.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/NewtonwithScales

Kirkham mentions it so you could check what is covered by Lancs opc for Kirkham.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Kirkham

You could also contact Lancs opc for advice, perhaps.

The Genuki site shows boundaries so you could check local townships for churches.

Best wishes
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I think they've done loads on Anglican churches, but unfortunately not seem to have had access to many non-conformist chapels. R.C. ones more evident now than they used to be. It's a brilliant resource, any way, isn't it? So grateful for it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Are you trying to find their burial? Could they have been buried in a cemetery rather than a churchyard? Do you know their religion? There were other, unofficial burial grounds in the parish of Kirkham for various denominations.
Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society has a Fylde branch which includes Kirkham. Someone there may know.
By coincidence I've been researching a line from Salwick in Kirkham parish over the past few days. Some Catholic chapels they attended had burial grounds and there are records for some years.
I haven't come across burial records for my newly identified 5x great- grandparents who died in 1839 and 1847. They are not in Kirkham parish register and the Catholic one stopped too early.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
GEN UKI lists a dozen churches within 3 miles of Newton-with -Scales open in 1860s. Some had graveyards.
Cowban

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
What were the names of your 3 x Gt Grandparents please?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Newton with Scales was grouped together with Lund Church, just to the north of Clifton towards Salwick station, opposite the Springfields Fuels site. The current building dates from 1824.

The registers are at Lancashire Archives as PR2926 and PR3219.

Depending on where in Newton they lived, it might have been a shorter journey to Kirkham.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I suppose one easy way is to check with parishes to see if the one you want is there.

Genuki doesn’t show a church for Newton.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/NewtonwithScales

Kirkham mentions it so you could check what is covered by Lancs opc for Kirkham.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Kirkham

You could also contact Lancs opc for advice, perhaps.

The Genuki site shows boundaries so you could check local townships for churches.

Best wishes
Heywood

The parish church for Newton with Scales is the same one as Clifton with Salwick, known as the parish of Lund. (Newton is where I live - the Scales bit to be precise!)

sorry I had not read all of this thread when I posted & the info was already there - Lund church & Kirkham St Michaels are roughly equidistant from Newton. Who were you looking for?

Lund churchyard is for burials of anyone who lived within the parish not just for members of the church. Unfortunately only the marriages have been transcribed.

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all. I've done my "logical brain missing the obvious step" thing. I thought if there was a list of parishes yet to do for the OPC that I could narrow my search down to only those, completely omitting to think that I could just start at the church closest to them! Of course, if they're not there then I'll still have to do that.

The people I'm looking for are:

Margaret Houghton (nee Raby) - abt 1810 to 12/12/1864
Robert Houghton - Aug 1797 to 14/02/1869

They had some children who sadly died in their youth too and may be buried in the same place:

Elizabeth Houghton - 27/10/1840 to 20/04/1864
Martha Ellen Houghton - 25/06/1846 to 13/02/1864
Jennet Raby Houghton - 03/12/1854 to 07/09/1862
William Houghton - 28/03/1848 to 28/04/1848

The OPC is a wonderful project. I wish I could get more involved. The website says they're only looking for photographers, which I don't think would work for me as I live in the North East.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent