Author Topic: Which registers still to do on Lancashire OPC?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Which registers still to do on Lancashire OPC?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Well I had my least productive day ever at the archives. :( The further you get with your research, the more effort it takes. On Tuesday, it was like my ancestors were hiding. My visit was only redeemed by taking part in the "Getting to Know the Archives" talk, which was led by a nice chap called David Tyldesley who confirmed that I'd basically not been using the archives to their fullest extent but also took us on a tour of the strong room where I saw the original of the 1742 Guild Roll, which was great excitement for me.

As for my GGG-grandfather, I couldn't find him in the registers for Lund or Barton or Freckleton. I took my lunch in Kirkham hoping to see my GGGG-grandfather's gravestone at St. Michael's (couldn't find it) and then had a trudge around the former Zion church graveyard. If you have any ancestors called Whiteside, it's a great place to look! Couldn't find him there either.

I think this non-conformist thing seems to be a thread I need to pull at. I have it in my head that my GGG-grandmother (Margaret Raby) was non-conformist too, although I can't remember where I picked that up.

One of the things the chap at the archives said was that C of E churches are obliged to hand over their registers to archives, but non-conformists are not. I think I'll write to the present church and see if I can ascertain the whereabouts of their registers.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 March 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you have later relatives eg Alice who died between 1945 to 1993 in the Kirkham area who may be buried at Lund church? If so I have the details of all of those.

Hi Ann, given the surname and location it's likely that they are distant relatives, but they won't be of my branch (my GG-grandparents re-located to Manchester in the mid 19th C.).
Robertson - Angus
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
The Lancs. OPC is indeed a splendid resource.  I wish some other counties would do half as good a job.  The Lancastrians have shown that it's possible -- though a lot of work, I'm sure.
How can we drum up the support and manpower for some other counties?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is really wonderful! I really wish Derbyshire, or Cheshire, or even Yorkshire were as brilliant. Lancs O P C should run masterclasses for the rest!!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
It's an amazing resource. I didn't realise how spoiled I was until I started researching ancestors from other counties.
Robertson - Angus
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 March 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
It's an amazing resource. I didn't realise how spoiled I was until I started researching ancestors from other counties.
I second that.
Cowban

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »

probably carried unanimously!

I too have looked at the opc for other counties and they are nowhere near as good

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Three Cheers for all at L PC online! Volunteers all, as far as I know...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 March 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I have lived in the Kirkham area for nearly 50 years but only today have I noticed the Zion graveyard. When I went looking last week I drove down the wrong length of Marsden Street. It is nice to learn something new about my home area.