Author Topic: Which registers still to do on Lancashire OPC?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which registers still to do on Lancashire OPC?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 March 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Our church warden at Lund has checked the burial records and the only Houghton family does not appear until about 1930. She suggested that the burial ground was fairly new or even not open in the 1860s. She suggested that several Newton people were baptised at Freckleton so that is also an option along with St Michael’s Kirkham. Were they CofE or RC?

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
That was really kind of you/her. Thank you so much.

They were married at St. Michael's and Robert's parents and two of his siblings are buried in St. Michael's, but there's no record of any of Robert's family there. I've even ordered and checked a survey of monumental inscriptions and I can't see any of them on there either.

I suppose I'm back to my original plan which is comparing the gaps in the OPC with nearby parishes. Squinty eyes at the Archives time again!  :D
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a post script.

I've just discovered two things: first that a Robert Houghton who matches mine in all details except his age (one year out) marries an Alice Ramsbottom (widower) in Lund church on 7/4/1866.

Second I've found someone's PhD thesis on Stanley Houghton (playwright) who states that Stanley says his grandparents were "strict non-conformists" (whatever that means). Stanley's grandfather would have been Robert's nephew, so maybe by extension the rest of the family were non-conformists? That said, I believe George, who would be Stanley's great-grandfather (and brother of my Robert) is buried in Kirkham alongside *his*/Robert's father.
Robertson - Angus
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
And many non-conformist records are not on Lancs OPC, sadly. I've a lot hiding in non-conformist chapel records, I suspect, in several parts of Lancs.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 March 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
And many non-conformist records are not on Lancs OPC, sadly. I've a lot hiding in non-conformist chapel records, I suspect, in several parts of Lancs.

If you have anything specific you'd like me to look up, I can have a quick gander tomorrow when I'm at the archives - http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office/our-collections/church-registers-guide/
Robertson - Angus
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I've had a few from visits to the archives there, but sadly they're not all there ( the records, not my rellies ... well, not all that sure!). It's odd, but apparently so.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you have later relatives eg Alice who died between 1945 to 1993 in the Kirkham area who may be buried at Lund church? If so I have the details of all of those.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered two things: first that a Robert Houghton who matches mine in all details except his age (one year out) marries an Alice Ramsbottom (widower) in Lund church on 7/4/1866.

BT here (need to be logged in)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-65D3-Z48?i=221&cat=677197

Lots of Lancashire records free on FamilySearch. Maybe not much for nonconformist places of worship after 1837.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
The Zion church of Kirkham has a graveyard (which is well hidden - I have never seen it). It closed a long time ago and the records in the the record office only go up to 1837. It was replaced by Kirkham Congregational (now URC) but there do not seem to be any records around. It has no graveyard itself and apparently for some years still used the Zion one.