Author Topic: FREE Wartime Food Event with Tasters! North Shields Library  (Read 3661 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FREE Wartime Food Event with Tasters! North Shields Library
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Here are some photos of the mock banana sandwiches we sampled which were made from parsnips.  Surprisingly, similar to the real thing.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, I was looking forward to trying this one - chocolate and potato cake!  I went back for seconds. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
I even tried a liquorice stick! :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
I even tried a liquorice stick! :)

:-) I remember liquorice sticks, utterly awful things, but still we chewed on them  (and I am definitely post war vintage). No idea why we did, may as well have chewed on a twig from the nearest tree :-)

Looks like the event was a great success, really pleased you enjoyed it
Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Boo!  We all had a great time.  One thing about liquorice sticks is they are long lasting.  I am still gnawing on mine yet.  ;) ;D

The talk and the anecdotes and memorabilia objects/publications as we went along certainly made this event a good learning experience about the war years.

I do hope the library puts  on more events of this type. :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
That sounds like a lot of fun! i would have loved that.

Did anyone see the TV series "The Supersizers"? They had health tests before and after following diets of various periods in history. They found out that the WW2 diet was fairly healthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supersizers...

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 07:21 BST (UK) »
I have to agree - a very good talk.  The food was good, even the 'banana' sandwiches which surprised me as I don't like parsnips!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Yes, it was a lot of fun.  Just my type of thing!  I wish you could have joined us. :). I do admire the resourcefulness that was shown during that period.

I have watched 'The Supersizers' - I think these programmes are very well presented and I enjoyed watching.

During the presentation last night we were told that during WW2 Russian miners and Canadians sent food parcels to the North East which especially benefited the children, it seems.  It is so nice to hear of other countries showing such generosity to us.

Hi C-side,  I didn't realise you were there.  I thought it was just five other Blyth Battery members who were coming.  Sorry, I didn't get to say hello and thank you in person for the help you have given me on here in the past. :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
https://the1940sexperiment.com/100-wartime-recipes/

See recipe 148 on this link to see a lady who makes the mock banana recipe. :)