Author Topic: Baby Grave  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Grave
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I did not make it really clear.
Non Conformists are:-Methodists,Baptists,Presbyterians ( and Quakers but they usually have their own burial grounds.)
Many chapels had their own burial grounds around the chapel but if not there were specific areas designated as Non Conformist in public cemeteries.  Also of course Church of England (or Ireland)
I was trying to say it will be better if you search in Non Com  cemeteries belonging to chapels or the Non Com parts of public cemeteries.Hope this helps and best of luck with your searches.
                                          Viktoria.

Offline carlotta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
All good suggestions I am going down the route of buried with other relatives. 
Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I did not make it really clear.
Non Conformists are:-Methodists,Baptists,Presbyterians ( and Quakers but they usually have their own burial grounds.)
Many chapels had their own burial grounds around the chapel but if not there were specific areas designated as Non Conformist in public cemeteries.  Also of course Church of England (or Ireland)
I was trying to say it will be better if you search in Non Com  cemeteries belonging to chapels or the Non Com parts of public cemeteries.Hope this helps and best of luck with your searches.
                                          Viktoria.

I did understand what you originally posted but the situation in Northern Ireland is different. Here a 'chapel' usually refers to a Catholic Church. The Church of Ireland was the State or Established Church but because others (Presbyterians in particular) had to pay tithes to the local church they had the right to be buried in the graveyard. The Irish Church Act (1869) separated church and state so tithes were no longer paid. However, many Presbyterian families continued to keep using the same family plots in the COI graveyards. In addition, many Presbyterian Churches (and indeed others in towns and cities) didn't have their own burying ground (or space for such). Thus the increase of municipal cemeteries where all denominations were buried.
Therefore, as I posted above, there are generally 3 places that Presbyterians might be buried.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline carlotta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Excellent info about why presbyterians can be buried in 3 places - thanks.  I had ruled out some of those.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
That is a complex set of circumstances.
Thank you for making it clear to me.
I never thought that people used  the  cemeteries of other denominations.
I do hope you find out what you want to know.
                                         Viktoria.

Offline Bo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong but I believe that Carnmoney Cemetery is a possibility.  Burials (as far as I know) aren’t online as yet but you may be able to get the information from the cemetery office or Newtownabbey Borough council. 

The only reason this occurred to me is because I have family, who originated from the Shankill/Woodvale, area buried there.

Sorry I can’t be more specific but I’m sure someone could elucidate further.  Good luck in your searches  :)

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Most often I found that babies were buried back with other family members so, if not done already, could go back to where your grandfather or grandmother's parents were buried if they died before the baby . Families made the trip back to the townlands to these family burial areas.  Once  in a while, was lucky to find a death notice in one of the two Belfast newspapers at the Central Library which gave the burying ground (or area) where burial was occurred.  Best wishes with your search.