Author Topic: Confusion on death cert  (Read 855 times)

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confusion on death cert
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible in certificates going back to around 1871 for parents names to be mixed up or muddled ? as going by census for a Christian smith she was born in longside her age matches cert found for birth to  parents William and  elspet gray in long side  1814

But

her death  1871 says parents are john and Ann but husband William smith is mentioned

Could things have been muddled as also on her death her husband is listed farmer but was actually a blacksmith

Later in Williams death 26 years later she is listed as Christian smith m/s gray deceased

Hope this makes sense

Ryan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion on death cert
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Information given on d/cs is the least reliable. It is quite possible the informant did not know her parent's names, even if the informant was a child of the deceased. Who was the informant on Christian's death certificate?

Giving the correct name of her husband indicates you have the correct d/c, as occupations can change, or once again, the informant may not have been sure of William's occupation if he was no longer working.

For the birth in 1814, you cannot have a birth certificate. Perhaps a record of baptism? Obviously those parents will be correct.  ;)

Whereabouts did the death occur? Is it Scotland by any chance? Is the area where you would expect Christain to have died? Does the address tally with where the family were living?

Are there other deaths of people with similar names in a similar area? It is not beyond the realms of possibility that two women named Christain married two men called William in a similar area, which may explain the anomalies.

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
The informant on Christians death is her husband William he maybe had said he was blacksmith on a farm and they recorded farmer ,?
But you have drawn me to think the wrong parents names are listed due to they were deceased before they married as this was her second husband  William smith

Her son to previous marriage was however John gray Davidson

Could this be where the John gray comes from ?

Her death place ties in with here last listed on census is perfect

This makes me think it’s the parents that are listed as wrong because her age ties in almost prefect with the 1814 birth which I realised is a baptism after you said

William had never met her parents this could be why the names are listed wrong

Ryan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Your theories sounds very feasible Ryan. The middle name of Gray given to her son from her first marriage adds weight to this I think.  :)

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Entirely possible that the wrong name was given on death certificate. It happens more frequently than we realise.

When the lady who is my Avator registered her husband's death in 1913 she gave his paternal grandparents names instead of his parents  ??? She knew his parents very well and is buried beside them. To my knowledge she never met his grandparents. Perhaps she just got confused.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks folks for the encouraging messages it’s amazing to think how long ago some of these Certs are so we are lucky to access them
As life has been so basic back then it is really fascinating to trace back and find who came before us
I guess being content is the answer as these records are so old
My search continues if I’m stuck il post again
Thanks for your time taken in replying to me

I’m very grateful
Ryan

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
It is fascinating to get an insight into our ancestors and their lives. Personally I usually go with my gut instinct unless I can prove otherwise.

Happy researching.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife