Author Topic: OWENS: Ethel Louisa Gertrude  (Read 1934 times)

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: OWENS: Ethel Louisa Gertrude
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes Lucy2, Robert Blayney was my husband's grandfather. Indecently his son was also named Robert Blayney.Caused all sorts of problems. Son's mother was Beatrice Ellen Watson KNOWLES nee MORRIS. They had not married and son was registered as Knowles. (Took some time to find that one  :)) Still haven't been able to find a marriage.
Further to the parents of Ethel & Fred, I have found a death cert & printout  I had for a Elizabeth OWENS d 5 May 1902. Address: Asaph St, Chch. In the print-out the writing was in many parts undecipherable. So I sent for the Certificate. Certificate reads her mother was Mary SCHECKSON nee SEAF Father William John SCHECKSON. Age 53 years born New Plymouth.
However the printout looks to read mother; nee G/SEA?E; where born - New Plymouth;How long in NZ - 26years. married Taranaki at 18 years to William John OWENS; living chdn males 19,22,female 24;
Something seems odd. If she was married at 18, how could she had been in NZ for 26 years. Is it "New Plymouth, England" ? The printout clearly states St Asaph Street.
So given all that the marriage OWENS/DAVIDSON may be incorrect.
Would it be worth getting the printout for the marriage SHACKSON/OWENS (If I can find it)?
I would like to hear anyone's comments please.
Miss Paddlefoot
Woodgate, Mearns, Owens, Jacobs, Griffiths. Creber, Alderton, Pollard

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you don't mind waiting a day or so (maybe sooner), I'll have a more in-depth look over the records for OWENS family to see what's what .   

[Someone else here gave the record for OWENS / DAVIDSON marriage ... but I'll check that further.]

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

.... can I just ask why is it you are trying to fit this William John OWENS and his wife Elizabeth, into your family ??

It seems that the William Henry John OWENS who is buried with Sarah and George F.C. (George Francis Charles) OWENS, is part of your BLAYNEY family ??

William Henry John OWENS appears to be a different person then to William John OWENS ???

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Who is this chap ...  ???

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19020510.2.77.7

... St Asaph Street  ??

~  Lu

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 March 18 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Robert Blayney OWENS is the son of  George Francis Charles OWENS.
Who the chap in the 10 May 1902 Papers Past is I don't know.
From working on things today I am sure of this: Elizabeth, mother of children Ethel & Fred was born c 1849 possibly in England, her maiden name SHACKSON. She married John Scott DOBBIN (NZBDM;1867/5722) had a child Florence Edith (1879/15700) then took up with William John OWENS and had a further 5 children. William John OWENS' uncle (as mentioned in death notice) was George Francis Henry OWENS, my husband's Great grandfather. So William John Owens and William John Henry Owens are the same person.
Regarding the Papers Past of 10 May 1902  I thought the Mrs BROAD may have been Mary Elizabeth OWENS born 1877/8455 - Elizabeth Shackson/ William Owens' daughter but nothing in NZBDM that looks possible.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 March 18 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us where in Ireland your OWENS family came from ??

Do you have birthplace for your George Francis OWENS ?

Am only asking these questions to try to assist you.   ;)   

It does appear from what I've found, that there were two men named William OWENS who lived in very close proximity to each other in Christchurch. 
Neither seems to have used their additional christian names (John / Henry John)  on electoral rolls and so it takes some finding them.
I don't believe at this stage, that the William John OWENS (married to Elizabeth) is the same person as William Henry John OWENS.    I have an idea who "the daughter Mrs BROAD" may have been but still working to confirm this.

~  Lu

Edited to add :   Mmm .. have just seen earlier in the thread where you said William Henry John OWENS was born (1840), Wicklow, IRELAND.

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 March 18 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lu. I don't mind any questions at all.

George Francis Charles OWENS b. Wicklow, Ireland to James & Mary OWENS nee BLAYNEY c1843. Arrived NZ c 1863 to Chch. Father a surgeon. George married in Little River 4 Feb 1883 to Sarah Maria McMANNUS. George died 20 Sept 1923 Chch. Buried Linwood Cem.
George Francis Owens [the above's son] was born in Little River on 13 Dec 1888. married Emily JOHNSTON on 23 April 1915 in Little River. Died 26 Sept 1962.
William Henry John OWENS came out to NZ with brother George.
I believe there may have been two men William  OWENS in Chch.
In the death notice (Press; 30 Jan 1925) states "at the residence of his nephew, G F Owens, Alfred St, William Henry John Owens; age 85 yrs"
Working my relationship calculator it shows that G F Owens is nephew of W H J Owens
Thank you for the trouble you are going on my behalf. I am so grateful for being able to sound out others in my  challenge and get further perspectives.
Miss Paddlefoot

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 March 18 03:54 GMT (UK) »

As I said I have Ethel's birth printout on the way so it should give more clues and/or proof that I think William is the son of James OWENS and Mary BLAYNEY
- named William Henry John born in Wicklow, Ireland in 1840. He is in Linwood cemetery Block 18 Plot 243. died 1925, arrived in NZ with brother George Frances Charles c1869.
Just received all the added posts: It looks like we may have solved the mystery. William John OWENS and William Henry John OWENS are the same person. Thank you all. Regards
Miss Paddlefoot

Mmm ...  Ethel's birth printout is unlikely to give proof that her father was "the son of .... " ???.
At best it will give his birthplace - at worst it might simply give the name of the country in which he was born.
As you've already stated that William Henry John OWENS is in Linwood Cemetery ... am a bit puzzled as to why you didn't firstly get the death printout for him (before getting a birth printout for the child Ethel who may very well be the child of another William OWENS ? )

The William OWENS who arrived in New Zealand per the "Lancashire Witch" in 1867 was a single man from Co. Tipperary, Ireland.   Aged 20 - born circa 1847.
On same voyage was a Mary OWENS ex Co. Tipperary, who may have been related ?

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 March 18 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Cheers for the additional info - my last post just crossed with yours.   ;)

I'll get back when I have further info.

~  Lu