Author Topic: OWENS: Ethel Louisa Gertrude  (Read 1939 times)

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: OWENS: Ethel Louisa Gertrude
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
While cruising the Linwood cemetery I'd come across Ethel & Fred. and from the headstone at "Billion graves" it named Emily Louisa Owens d 6 August 1907. I knew that this was one of mine and interned with her was Fred. (Incidentally the notation of the headstone in Billion Graves is incorrect as it shows Emily L Owens not Ethel L G Owens) I became curious who W & E Owens were and so had sent for Ethel's death cert.
It was just another track I was following. And I have no doubt that in the end I'll have it sorted.
Cheers
Miss Paddlefoot
Woodgate, Mearns, Owens, Jacobs, Griffiths. Creber, Alderton, Pollard

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
This OWENS "business" ...  ;D   ... is a very tangled web.  ::)

There were two "William and Elizabeth OWENS' " ... residing in Christchurch in close proximity ... each of whom had children born in the same era ...  and who bore remarkably similar names.  ;D

I'm working through a process of "elimination"  - I hope to have further info for you later today.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 March 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
While cruising the Linwood cemetery I'd come across Ethel & Fred. and from the headstone at "Billion graves" it named Emily Louisa Owens d 6 August 1907. I knew that this was one of mine and interned with her was Fred. (Incidentally the notation of the headstone in Billion Graves is incorrect as it shows Emily L Owens not Ethel L G Owens) I became curious who W & E Owens were and so had sent for Ethel's death cert.

Hi ... sorry to have to disappoint you, but it is incorrect that Emily Louisa OWENS (d. 1907) is buried with Fred.

Emily Louise OWENS' name is not actually on the Billion Graves Index for Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch.
To access her information you need to click on  the  Index link for "Frederick Henry OWENS" or  "Ethel Louisa Gertrude OWENS"
Then ... further click on the "SHOW MORE" button.
This additional information clearly describes that Emily Louisa and Fred H. (as he's shown) are in different plots ... in different rows.

Emily Louisa OWENS (d.1907) - Block 18 - Plot 243
OWENS - Fred H.  (d. 1892) - Block 8 - Plot 16

... as can be seen here  >

https://billiongraves.com/grave/ethel-Louisa-Gertrude-Owens/15982638

Personally, I'd urge exercising caution with the Billion Grave transcriptions (and purported "family links"  given.)   While I applaud those who undertake the work of photographing and transcribing headstones ... I consider "that suggesting families are, or even maybe, related", is not the job of a transcriber.

I will post next for your info, a transcription of Cemetery Records for persons named OWENS who are buried at Linwood.  This is data taken from headstones as originally transcribed by members belonging to the New Zealand Society of Genealogists. [Sources:  ancestry.com / and New Zealand Cemetery Records (NZSG) on microfiche and available at many larger NZ libraries and some other repositories. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 March 18 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Transcription of Cemetery Records :  Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch :
[Sources :  as shown in previous post (NZSG).   I seem to recall that NZSG transcribers used their own "numbering system" for this project.   It differs from the numbering used by the cemetery itself. ]
Surname  =  OWENS

Area 14 - Row B
#  5902.     Ethel Louisa Gertrude second daughter of W. and E. OWENS, died 3rd June 1892 aged 3 years and 4 months.    ALSO   Frederick Henry, their third son, died 15th June, 1892, aged 6 years and 5 months  :

--------------------------

Area 11 - Row L

# 5452.   Sarah OWENS - died 28 April 1913 aged 53 years.

# 5453.   George F.C. OWENS - died 20 September 1923 aged 82 years.

# 5454.   Wm. H. J. OWENS - died 29 January 1925 aged 85 years.

[NOTE: On the record these three plots have been bracketed together.  ]

Need to point out too that when you view at Billion Graves, the Linwood Cemetery plot of a person listed in the index as  >  "William J. OWENS"  >  the resulting photograph clearly shows that the headstone is that of  > "William H. J.  OWENS" (who died January 1925.)
So caution, there are errors at that site.

Edited to add:  
https://billiongraves.com/grave/William-J-Owens/15881265

~  Lu

PS:  There are also burials for a "Mary OWENS" (details not yet known) ... and a "William OWENS" whom I will deal with later so as not to confuse things further, here.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 March 18 01:04 GMT (UK) »
The Christchurch Cemeteries database will help you with the numbering system they use. 
Use their "name" search facility.

http://heritage.christchurchcitylibraries.com/Cemeteries/

~  Lu