Author Topic: Watt Family Scotland to USA  (Read 496 times)

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Watt Family Scotland to USA
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I am looking for some info on the Watt Family who emigrated from Lanarkshire, Scotland to USA in 1856. The information I have is that William & Jane Watt arrived in New Castle Delaware in 1856 along with 7 of their 11 Children. However, I am only certain that the youngest 4 Janet, Thomas, Archibald & Alexander traveled with them.
I know that the eldest Robert remained in Scotland
John & William had already emigrated 4 years earlier
Elizabeth remained in Scotland until the 1880's then emigrated to Australia

I know that David & Jane emigrated to Australia, according to Jane's obituary she & David traveled  together but not sure if they went to USA 1st & then on to Australia cannot find any record of their entry. Also it has been mentioned by Watt family descendants in the U.S. that David went "walkabouts" & was not seen by the family again (he is my ancestor so I know he came to Australia)

Also James did he emigrate with the rest of the family, he is not recorded in the 1861 Scottish Census but reappears for the 1871. Maybe he emigrated but chose to return to Scotland?

Also "Archibald Milligan Watt" info that I have states that he died in Kent Minnesota in 1894 but I am unsure where this info came from or if it is even correct.

I would be grateful for any help with this geographically diverse family

Kim

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Watt Family Scotland to USA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 04:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry which contains evidence  ( shipping record) suggesting the family travelled to the US in 1865 (not 1856) and that only William, Jane, Thomas, Archibald and Alexander travelled then. There is also a possible 1861 census entry in UK (New Monkland) for William, Jane snr, Jane jnr, Archibald and Alexander.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Watt Family Scotland to USA
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Isobel

I am unable to access U.S. records on Ancestry atm but I see the entry for 1865 this is a big help I didn't check the 1861 census as my information suggested the family had already emigrated. I couldn't understand at first why Janet did not travel with them until I realised she married in Illinois the previous year so she was already in the U.S. as well, More to investigate

Thanks again

Kim