Author Topic: Canary Avenue, Dublin?  (Read 713 times)

Online rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canary Avenue, Dublin?
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone can identify this street for me.  I have a death in 1872 in Irishtown Road, Dublin registered in the Donnybrook district.  The informant was an illiterate 12 year old whose own address was recorded as Canary Avenue.

No modern map search engine turns up Canary Avenue so perhaps it's disappeared.  Can't see it in the Ringsend/Irishtown area on the 1837/1907 OS Maps but it could of course be elsewhere.  I guess the Registrar may also have misheard a 12 year old but I doubt they'd have recorded the street name unless they were familiar with it. 

Can anyone identify where it was?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Canary Avenue, Dublin?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »

Online rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much dathai, hadn't realised the irishgenealogy.ie website could return searches on address so that's useful for future reference too.

So Canary Avenue was/is definitely in the Ringsend/Irishtown area. 

I've now quickly checked several of these Canary Avenue church recorded events against their civil records.  None of the civil records show these addresses as Canary Avenue.  In the civil records they are Fairview or Shamrock Avenues, both on the 1907 map but today they appear to be the St Patrick's Villas/The Square area.  I guess 'Canary' may have been an informal name locally or perhaps a small unmarked lane.

However I think that narrows down the approximate location pretty usefully.  Thanks again.

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Ave
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lp9/
dathai...you are a legend. So many times I have read your answers to other's questions and it answers my question too. I never would have guessed that Irishgenealogy was searchable by location.
Thank you.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder might it have been Cannery.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 07:16 GMT (UK) »
or a bird market ?

Online rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion dublin1850.  I had considered that possibility but in following up the records revealed in the irishgenealogy.ie they are all consistently spelt Canary and those that can be checked do all appear to be in the Ringsend/Irishtown area I previously mentioned. 

Have only been able to look at the online OS maps where I can't see it but there are plenty of unnamed lanes and alleys that could be it.  Possibly a spot where a lot of residents kept caged birds and the name was rather informal.  May be on an odd map somewhere!