Author Topic: Catholic church in North shield called Broom?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic church in North shield called Broom?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite sure how The Brooms comes into it?

You have misread the source information, which is this:

NORTHUMBERLAND: Tynemouth & North Shields (Roman Catholic): Baptisms & Marriages includes extracts for Brooms Chapel, Durham 1784-1809

They have both been baptised at North Shields. Brooms Chapel has nothing to do with it  ;)
There simply happen to be some Brooms baptisms included in the record, which is mainly for North Shields.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite sure how The Brooms comes into it?

You have misread the source information, which is this:

NORTHUMBERLAND: Tynemouth & North Shields (Roman Catholic): Baptisms & Marriages includes extracts for Brooms Chapel, Durham 1784-1809

They have both been baptised at North Shields. Brooms Chapel has nothing to do with it  ;)
There simply happen to be some Brooms baptisms included in the record, which is mainly for North Shields.

That totally makes more sense to me...the document which was on Ancestry says this "Piece 3751: Tynemouth, North Shields, Durham, Brooms Chapel (Roman Catholic), 1784-1809, 1821-1839"

So I assumed it was a Brooms Chapel...so it was indeed Cuthberts?
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
.the document which was on Ancestry says this "Piece 3751: Tynemouth, North Shields, Durham, Brooms Chapel (Roman Catholic), 1784-1809, 1821-1839"

It's always safer to check on the original cataloguing  :) the quote I gave was from the National Archives   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2492608

so it was indeed Cuthberts

Yes. St Cuthberts, North Shields. The church building was officially opened in 1821, but the Roman Catholic community was in existence well before that.

However, this didn't necessarily mean that your family lived in North Shields. Apparently St Cuthberts was used by Roman Catholics from a wide area, north and south of the Tyne until they had churches of their own. Those crossing from south of the river apparently formed a committee and hired their own boat to cut the costs of crossing the Tyne sometimes twice a day.

a Brooms Chapel

As I said before, the church in question (which we now know to be irrelevant to your enquiry  ;D ) was known as 'The Brooms'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
.the document which was on Ancestry says this "Piece 3751: Tynemouth, North Shields, Durham, Brooms Chapel (Roman Catholic), 1784-1809, 1821-1839"

It's always safer to check on the original cataloguing  :) the quote I gave was from the National Archives   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2492608

so it was indeed Cuthberts

Yes. St Cuthberts, North Shields. The church building was officially opened in 1821, but the Roman Catholic community was in existence well before that.

However, this didn't necessarily mean that your family lived in North Shields. Apparently St Cuthberts was used by Roman Catholics from a wide area, north and south of the Tyne until they had churches of their own. Those crossing from south of the river apparently formed a committee and hired their own boat to cut the costs of crossing the Tyne sometimes twice a day.

a Brooms Chapel

As I said before, the church in question (which we now know to be irrelevant to your enquiry  ;D ) was known as 'The Brooms'.

Thank you for clearing that up and your help :)
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Actually, I think they were baptised at St Cuthberts, North Shields. I'm not quite sure how The Brooms comes into it?

I see on the original record that the priest who conducted Charles' baptism was called Thomas Gillow.

He was parish priest at St Cuthbert North Shields. He was appointed there in the early 1820's and remained there for some 36 years. (source 'Down Your Aisles' a History of the (Roman Catholic) Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle.)
Memorial to Rev. Thomas Gillow + members of his family at Kirkham Catholic church.
www.stonechaser.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/kirkham-catholic-church.html
Cowban