Author Topic: John Owen - born Pontvane (1856-1935) and wife Mary(1855-1948)-born Newport  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Owen - born Pontvane (1856-1935) and wife Mary(1855-1948)-born Newport
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 March 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Snippets from Welsh Newspapers

Report of a bad accident suffered by John Owen
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3666931/3666934/32/Yetybontbren

John and Mary's son Thomas died in 1902 of TB. His funeral was held at Micpelah [?] officiated by Rev JW Maurice, who the following Sunday preached a funeral sermon for Thomas at Tabor Chapel on the last three verses of the 20th Psalm, a subject chosen by the deceased.

Maggie died in Feb 1908 aged after an illness of 9 days, having complained of trouble in her head. Again buried at Macpelah

Dinah married David O Thomas of Smyth St, Fishguard at St Mary's Church in that town in 1909

JOhn Owen contributed 5s to the Tabor Church organ fund

Offline Walt69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 March 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I am happily surprised and overwhelmed by the response to my request for assistance in finding my Owen ancestors.

I wish to thank rosie99, osprey, hanes teulu, & Mabel Bagshawe for their multiple responses with invaluable information that they have provided to this point, I am truly thankful.

I am trying to follow-up on the information that I have received to this point.

rosie99 in Reply#1 said: “…Going from these birthdates their mother’s maiden surname appears to be Edwards…”

Walt69 comment : I discussed with my Welsh cousin the possibility that Mary Owen’s maiden name was ‘Edwards’, upon which it was revealed that the name of ‘Edwards’ had been heard years ago as a possibility but with no details to which ‘Edwards’ family they were related.

rosie99 in Reply#2: provided details of possible marriage.

Walt69 comment : I am currently attempting to find out how to obtain John and Mary Owen’s marriage certificate from Wales.

Osprey in Reply#4  said: “…Think you'll need the marriage cert for John & Mary to go further back. It would confirm details for their fathers. Pontvane could be a variant of Pontfaen…”

Walt69 comment : I am currently attempting to find out how to obtain John and Mary Owens marriage certificate from Wales.

hanes teulu in Reply#5  said: “…The marriage cert. is certainly required…
hanes teulu in Reply#8  said: “…Here's hoping the marriage cert. can deliver.
I wonder what the source of the birth dates for John (1856) and Mary (1855) is, as provided by
Walt69's Welsh cousin?...”

Walt69 comment : I have sent an email to my Welsh cousin enquiring the source of  the birth dates for John (1856) and Mary (1855).

Mabel Bagshawe in Reply#9 provided fantastic detailed information on the Owen family gleaned from Welsh newspapers.

Walt69 comment : I have followed the link in Reply#9 and am able to access this great resource, Welsh Newspapers Online, but will ask “What are the best search parameters to use in the Advanced Search form in addition to the obvious as ‘Owen?”

Regarding ordering John and Mary Owen’s marriage certificate from Wales, could someone please advise me of the correct government agency from whom I must obtain this document.
Again, thanks for the fantastic assistance that I have received.

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 March 18 13:19 GMT (UK) »
the easiest and cheapest way to order a copy of a cert is to get it from the GRO

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

You have the info you need june qtr 1875 Cardigan vol 11b pg 13
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 March 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »

Mabel Bagshawe in Reply#9 provided fantastic detailed information on the Owen family gleaned from Welsh newspapers.

Walt69 comment : I have followed the link in Reply#9 and am able to access this great resource, Welsh Newspapers Online, but will ask “What are the best search parameters to use in the Advanced Search form in addition to the obvious as ‘Owen?”

Walt - my results also came from the Welsh Newspapers online site. I searched for  Yet-y-Bontbren and YetyBontbren. To be honest, with common names like John Owen, searching by an unusual house or village name can be more fruitful, unless you already have a very specific time period to which you can focus the search to. It doesn't help that Dinas Cross is sometimes just referred to as Dinas (which is a common village name) or the variety of spelling of welsh placenames 150 odd years ago

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 March 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
"Tycanol"

1888 map     http://maps.nls.uk/view/102187998

Click on,zoom (+) and find "Tycanol" - just east of "Dinas" and south of "Fron".

The closest property to "Tycanol" is "Bwlch-y-goch". An earlier post has details of a Mary Edwards, age 6, on the 1861 Census at "Tycanol". The property immediately before "Tycanol" on the Census sheet is "Bwlchygoch". The 1861 Census looks promising re. "Mary, born Newport, 1856"

Offline Walt69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Osprey, thank you for the link to General Registry Office.

Today I have successfully ordered the marriage certificate of my great-grandparents, John & Mary Owen, which will provide confirmation of their parents and as such, will enable me to reach further back and reveal more of my Welsh ancestry.