Author Topic: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon  (Read 6881 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 March 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
For some reason the "Attachment and other options" is still now working. Does anyone know why this is?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 March 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
I don't know why you can attach images, but I've got hold of a copy of Richard's will.
Very interesting!
There may be missing burials in Stratton though, I am not sure we will find his one. Why is his wife Mary not on the memorial?
Unless Mary did marry again (and left Wiltshire!) and made a will with her new name, or her will was not proved, then I am at a loss as to how we can find it!
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 March 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Yes it is odd that Rootschat won't let me add an attachments, I tried again tonight and I am still having problems. I will send Rootschat a message to see if there is a problem.

Can you see the bit where Richard mentions his uncle and brothers? If not I can send you a cropped image with those names on [via PM]. His uncle's first name is definitely Edward but I'm not sure of the surname. As for his brothers, those are definitely Lemuel and Francis. I've found three children christened to Lemuel in Stratton St Margaret in the 1660s and 1670s

John Baker chr 25 March 1665
Richard Baker chr 13 March 1667
Anne Baker chr 4 April 1673

I've also found what looks like Lemuel's burial in Stratton St Margaret on 16 April 1710. There is a burial on 9 October 1708 for a Mary Baker in Stratton St Margaret who might be either Lemuel's wife or possibly Richard's widow [and therefore Thomas Wayte's wife's mother]. I've not found a Will yet but that gives me a starting point for a date.

Maybe Mary is buried elsewhere and that's why her name isn't on the memorial, or perhaps it was errected later by someone in the family with more money (or perhaps a related family such as the Villetts).

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 March 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I think Richard Baker's uncle might be Edward Brunsdon. I've just found a marriage in Stratton St Margaret in 1673 for Edward Brunsdon and Ann Butler.

If this is the case then Richard's mother might well be a Brunsdon or a Butler. Alternatively Edward might be a cousin or in-law rather than an 'uncle' in the modern sense. I think it might be worth looking to see if I can find a Will for Edward or Ann to see if that gives any clues.

Matt

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 March 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 March 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
http://www.skliar-ward.com/media/Mary%20Wayt%20Swindon.PNG
From the link in post #9

I have a photo of that memorial myself from when I visited Swindon a few years ago. It is probably one of my favourite memorials

Matt

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 March 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
You have done a good job on the will, and I agree about the name of Richard's uncle Edward. I am not sure though how he is an uncle! No doubt all will be revealed in time.
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 March 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
You have done a good job on the will, and I agree about the name of Richard's uncle Edward. I am not sure though how he is an uncle! No doubt all will be revealed in time.
John

Hi John

The only way I can see Edward being an uncle in the way we would use the term, is if either Richard's mother was a Butler or Brunsen or if he was an uncle by marriage [in other words married to a sister of Richard's mother or father].

In other words

Richard's mother might have been a Brunsdon before she married and became a Baker, with Edward being her brother. Therefore he would be an uncle by marriage.

Alternatively Richard's mother might be a Butler who had a sister named Ann who was married to Edward Brunsdon. This again would make Edward Richard's uncle by marriage.

The Will is really clear to read in places which is good as it makes it easier to study the words. I'm now working on the Inventory which again is really clear and fairly long.

If I can find a Will or other documentation related to the Brunsdon name or possibly the Butler name this might provide some more clues about Richard Baker.

More investigation required I think

Matt

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see someone else trying to piece together the Wayt family.

Is there any reason for you discounting Mary Hickes as Richard Baker's wife?

There is a 1655 marriage at Stratton St Margaret for Richard Baker and Mary Hickes. It seems to fit given we know Richard's wife was called Mary, and given that Richard's children were born around 1655 in Stratton Margaret (e.g. Mary, probable wife of Thomas Wayt, was born there in 1657). I have also not yet been able to find Mary Hickes's baptism or will. She is described as of "Rodbourne" in her marriage record. Presumably Rodbourne Cheney given there is a Katherine Hickes who marries at Rodbourne Cheney in 1661.

I am reasonably comfortable that Richard Baker was the son of another Richard Baker - there's a 1622 baptism record at Stratton St Margaret which seems to fit.

Ben