Author Topic: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon  (Read 6923 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Rodbourne Cheyney is to the west of Strattion St Margaret and Highworth is to the north of Stratton St Margaret. Rodbourne Cheyney is north west of Swindon town centre although it is part of Swindon now.Maybe 2 mile or so from the town centre.  Even Swindon is/was just next to/between Rodbourne Cheyney and Swindon. It is now Rodbourne, although there is a Even Swindon school and there used to be a Even Swindon working mans club, not sure if it is still there.

So it looks like all these areas are worth looking at. As you say Rodbourne Cheyney is part of Swindon, now, but back then it was separate although close to it. It's the same with some parts of Watford where I live.

I'm now inclined to focus my search on Rodbourne Cheyney, and Highworth, as well as Stratton St Margaret and Swindon. Swindon seems to be the main area for the Wayts [including the Eastcott area], whereas Stratton St Margaret appears to be the main area where the Bakers are located.

Off to the library now to see what more I can find.....

Matt

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Highworth registration district included New Swindon until 1898, if I am correct, when the 2 Swindons joined and formed Swindon.
Stratton St Margaret was also in Highworth district, and the other parishes we have discussed also.
Being that we are in the 1700s Highworth at the time was a much more important and larger town than Swindon
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see someone else trying to piece together the Wayt family.

Is there any reason for you discounting Mary Hickes as Richard Baker's wife?

There is a 1655 marriage at Stratton St Margaret for Richard Baker and Mary Hickes. It seems to fit given we know Richard's wife was called Mary, and given that Richard's children were born around 1655 in Stratton Margaret (e.g. Mary, probable wife of Thomas Wayt, was born there in 1657). I have also not yet been able to find Mary Hickes's baptism or will. She is described as of "Rodbourne" in her marriage record. Presumably Rodbourne Cheney given there is a Katherine Hickes who marries at Rodbourne Cheney in 1661.

I am reasonably comfortable that Richard Baker was the son of another Richard Baker - there's a 1622 baptism record at Stratton St Margaret which seems to fit.

Ben

A visit to the library today has revealed some more Baker connections. As well as finding the christening of Richard Baker [son of Richard] in Stratton St Margaret on 12 October 1622, I also found the following who I suspect are his siblings:

Margaret Baker - chr 30 November 1624 Stratton St Margaret

John Baker - chr 19 October 1634 Stratton St Margaret

Francis Baker [female] - chr 3 June 1638.

Margaret is described as the daughter of Richard Baker, whilst John is descfribed as the son of Richard and Winifred Baker - possibly hinting at the name of Richard and Margaret's mother [unless they were born to a first wife].

On the other hand Francis is described as the "daughter of Winesfred Baker widow" so she may not be Richard's sibling.

The other odd thing is that I couldn't find a christening for Richard's two brothers, Francis Baker and Lemuel Baker, both of whom he mentions in his Will. It is possible they were born in a different parish.

I did find the christenings of four of Lemuel's children however: Martha (1663), John (1665/66), Richard (1667) and Anne (1673) all christened in Stratton St Margaret. I haven't found Lemuel's marriage, christening or burial though.

There is also an Ann Baker born in 1673 to Daniel Baker and it's possible that he is another relative of Richard, Lemuel, and Francis.

As far as marriages for Richard Baker senior go, I haven't found any marriage to Winifred. The only marriages I have found in the right time frame (roughly 1610-1625) are as follows:

Richard Baker and Margarytt Adams - 7 October 1615 - Calne (St Mary), Wiltshire
Richard Baker and Dorothie Hawkins - 20 November 1620 - Christian Malford, Wiltshire

Both look a bit too far away to be the right marriage, but it is possible Richard moved to the Stratton area after he was married.

Sadly I had no luck tracing Mary Hicks though.

Matt

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Interesting - I think I agree that there are probably some siblings there.

I have started to trawl all the relevant wills (time permitting) to see if there is anything useful as I am at dead ends with the Wayt and collateral lines... While, so far, nothing that useful to the Wayts, it has shown some interesting links for other families I was looking at.

In case anyone you're interested in the detail - I have uploaded current progress to: http://www.skliar-ward.com/misc/Wills.htm.

It's rather time consuming so probably won't complete it any time soon.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Interesting - I think I agree that there are probably some siblings there.

I have started to trawl all the relevant wills (time permitting) to see if there is anything useful as I am at dead ends with the Wayt and collateral lines... While, so far, nothing that useful to the Wayts, it has shown some interesting links for other families I was looking at.

In case anyone you're interested in the detail - I have uploaded current progress to: http://www.skliar-ward.com/misc/Wills.htm.

It's rather time consuming so probably won't complete it any time soon.

Hi

I'm currently putting together a database of all the relevant christenings, marriages and burials for the Bakers, Wayts and Keens in the relevant area as well as a summary of all the Wills I've examined.

More to follow....

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on Ancestry and FindmyPast today to see if I could find a christening for Mary Hicks. I did a search from c1610 to c1638 and searched for her in Rodbourne Cheney and Swindon without luck.

There is a Mary Hick christened in Millicent Tregzod [spelt wrong I think lol!] in the 1620s and of course there is the 1631 in Highworth.

I also had a look for a christening or burial/Will of Daniel Baker and also any sign of any marriages for Daniel, Lemuel, Francis, or Richard snr. Again no luck.

It may be that Richard snr was married outside Stratton St Margaret.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 00:22 BST (UK) »
I've been doing some more digging on Mary Hicks today and there appear to be two candidates. There is the above mentioned Marie Hicks christened in Highworth on 4 September 1631 (daughter of John Hicks) and then three years later there is a Marie Hicks daughter of Justinian Hicks (or Hucks) christened on 20 April 1634.

I can't find a burial for either Marie yet so it's hard to work out which, if either, could be mine. John and Justinian could possibly be brothers though. Justinian appears to have married Alicia Haskins in Highworth in 1611.

Justinian and Alicia appear to have had the following children (in all cases the surname is spelt Hucks, or Huckes)

Alexander - 1612
John - 1618
Edith - 1623
Elizabeth - 1626
Marie - 1634

These were all christened in Highworth.

I've also found another child of John Hicks:

Anne Hicks - daughter of John - christened 22 March 1628 Highworth.

I certainly think these are worth investigating.

Matt