Author Topic: Ancestry problems, how is FindMyPast nowadays?  (Read 6821 times)

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry problems, how is FindMyPast nowadays?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 24 March 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
So for researching a Scottish family with forrays into the commonwealth and US but next to nothing in England and Wales a world sub for Ancestry along with use of Scotland's People would be preferable ?

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 24 March 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
In a nutshell, FindMyPast is quite good for Britain at least. Some areas are more covered than others.

I have just bought a new 1 month subscription which gives me access to the 1939 register. Managed to spend hours gathering more info on rellies now.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 24 March 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
So for researching a Scottish family with forrays into the commonwealth and US but next to nothing in England and Wales a world sub for Ancestry along with use of Scotland's People would be preferable ?

An Ancestry world sub for occasional forays would be an expensive sledgehammer to crack a nut IMO

Might be better using the money on trips to a library with a subscription
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline SilverGrowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 31 March 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
I use the free library editions in my local library which are very good and cover most of what I want. Do all libraries have some free access or does this depend on where you live? Currentlt I finf findmypast better than ancestry for my purposes.

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 31 March 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
I think most (UK) libraries offer the Ancestry Library edition, unfortunately that is not the case for FindMyPast.  However, when they do the FindMyPast version is better as you can access your own tree and add to it.  Have to say that my recent trip made me feel the 50 mile drive to do it was worth the effort, but as a regular thing would not be cost effective!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 01 April 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
I use the free library editions in my local library which are very good and cover most of what I want. Do all libraries have some free access or does this depend on where you live? Currentlt I finf findmypast better than ancestry for my purposes.

Depends where you live. East Sussex libraries have subscriptions to both, so I'm lucky. Usually your local library's website has a list of which sites it subscribes to.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
I've stuck with Ancestry for some time, mainly because it has most of the areas I need - but I really do wish they had a button to "exclude records from...." I've almost nothing U.S.A., and any fairly wide search seems to result in umpteen USA records trolling down the page.
I've had few issues with Ancestry - others have mentioned London records, that's true, but I find it quite well set out on the whole.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 01 April 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
I've stuck with Ancestry for some time, mainly because it has most of the areas I need - but I really do wish they had a button to "exclude records from...." I've almost nothing U.S.A., and any fairly wide search seems to result in umpteen USA records trolling down the page.
I've had few issues with Ancestry - others have mentioned London records, that's true, but I find it quite well set out on the whole.

ThrelfallYorky - you can restrict your search to UK records only, would that help?

When you edit your search, there's a box called "Collection Focus" and you can select "UK and Ireland".
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 01 April 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, I always do do that, but quite often get things - births in Philadelphia USA, etc, that I'm clearly not after. It does seem to have a problems with wandering geography!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)