Author Topic: Mystery house location - Surrey 1925 [SOLVED!]  (Read 1402 times)

Offline YeOldeMuso

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery house location - Surrey 1925 [SOLVED!]
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
This is a bit of a long-shot, but can anyone place the location of these photos - circa 1925?
The house, 'Hillview' appears to be in an elevated position (as the name suggests), on a corner or bend, overlooking a row of older terraced houses - probably now long-gone.
The family lived in the Worcester Park, New Malden, Morden, Tolworth area, but from what I can see from Google Maps, nothing seems to suit as it all appears to be fairly flat.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
With thanks.
Pete
[Solved - with thanks!]  :)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery house location - Surrey 1925
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 02:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Is it possible to give us the surname of the family as they might be found in a street directory or on the 1939 register?

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline YeOldeMuso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy, and thanks for the reply.
The family name was REEVANCE (George and Amy Doris Reevance). They married in 1922 (reg. Croydon), but unfortunately I don't have their marriage certificate, so no addresses for the time.

I've looked at the 1939 register, but by then they are living at 85 Lawrence Avenue, Malden, Surrey.

The parents of George Reevance lived at 28A Guiness Buildings, Snowfields, Bermondsey - I know this is of little relevance, but I thought it worth including in case it rang any bells!
Thanks again for the help,
Pete 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Per the electoral roll there was a George and Doris Reevance at 111 Bexhill Road, Lewisham, from 1929 to 1936. That's a bit more hilly.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Bexhill Road looks correct, but perhaps they had moved a few numbers to 111. The original is on a high point and at a curve (possibly an early council house). Google satellite (can I spell?) could be navigated to find original photo location. I'm no good at moving those maps.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4494257,-0.0330087,3a,75y,104.71h,71.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smGn_vz488AkvkYY32qbmeA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

one of these houses I think (if the link works). they are quite set back off the road, the further it goes up so not easy to work out from the road. 
one of the photos shows the tiling on the upper bays.

SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say that no 111 is the one with the Land Rover.
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline YeOldeMuso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow! thanks Shaun, Regorian and Dillybert - what great detective work!  :D

Shaun...
This is a new address to me, I had no idea they even lived in Lewisham, so would never have dreamed of looking there at all! Daisy mentioned the Street Directories, but I had no idea they even existed... I must look at these in the future.

Regorian and Dillybert...
Yes, I am certain you are right with all of that - in fact, if you look at number 103 you almost see how the house originally was, even down to the neighbouring house (101) with it's higher 'brick-line', placing the rendering somewhat higher as per my original photo.
So, assuming the original brick/render line was the same on 111 as it is on 103, I think we can safely say number 111 is correct!

Great work, I have been meaning to look into this for years, so a big thanks to you all!
Pete
 :)

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery house location - Surrey 1925 [SOLVED!]
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland