Author Topic: DNA Smith and Brown Family  (Read 1882 times)

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Smith and Brown Family
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am related to Rosetta Smith and Francis Brown both romany gypsies from the Lincolnshire area 
I have had the DNA test done with ancestery it came back with 89% british 5% irish 4% europe west and 2% europe south , I am assuming the europe south Italy/Greece is from the romany side just wondered if anyone related to this family have had their DNA tested and if they have europe south, would love to know . Many thanks

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Smith and Brown Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you uploaded your results to GED match ? its Free and will show matches with others who have tested with other companies ...I'm  a Smith and have taken Ancestry dna ....  janeo
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
no will have to look at that, thank you

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Gela

I have read through your posts on rootschat and think you maybe be able to help me, i note that you with the help of others on rootschat have done quite a lot of good extensive research on the Gipsy Midland Northern Browns, have you ever come across a John Brown who died in Bridlington 1856, he stated at the eve of his death he was 70 years of age, the record of his death is in the Yorkshire Gazette Saturday 4 October, it is wrote that he was camping with a 30 strong company of Gipsies, it is said they just left him by the side of the highway as he was ill, he was then taken in but sadly died that night, an Inquest was held and the Jury returned a verdict of " Died of disease of the heart".  These words are then wrote in the paper
 "It seamed unaccountably strange and cruel on the part of Browns fraternity to desert him as they did, and not evan one of them attended his funeral, or owned him in any way. Probably Thursday night was the first time Brown slept in a dwelling house, as he said he had been a wanderer all his days".

Gela i have read through all your research and see there are several  Gipsy Family's that use the name Brown as a sort of an alias, have you ever come across these accounts, i was wondering did anyone ever find where he was buried, do you know anything at all that you would tell, if no one knows him i think it would be good for his relatives to find him, i am sure he would like that, there is more information in the article, i will write the full account up if you wish. As for the your D.N.A question i think Janeo gave you good sound advise

Regards
            michael

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello no i have never come across him before but will try to look into it thank you

Offline jadz1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello my gt gt grandmother was Louisa brown daughter of Charles brown and Isabella gray, I'm wondering if anyone got a photo of her mother Bella after Charles died I believe she married again,their is a great photo on line of her mother Harriet, wife of budd gray, my gran used to say that Bella died in Ireland run over by an army lorry, she was carrying the shopping in her apron, very sad but if anyone else as heard this story it would be interesting, kind regards all,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hello I am related to Rosetta Smith and Francis Brown both romany gypsies from the Lincolnshire area 
I have had the DNA test done with ancestery it came back with 89% british 5% irish 4% europe west and 2% europe south , I am assuming the europe south Italy/Greece is from the romany side just wondered if anyone related to this family have had their DNA tested and if they have europe south, would love to know . Many thanks

Don't take too much notice of these percentages. 2% is hardly worth taking into consideration.

Ancestry says this of "Low Confidence Regions":

... the possible range includes 0% and does not exceed 15%. Since there is only a small amount of evidence of genetic ethnicity from these regions, it is possible that you may not have genetic ethnicity from them at all.

Full article here: https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/09/04/more-than-a-pie-chart-and-a-number-reading-your-ethnicity-estimate/

Your estimates can change depending on others who test, so it is worth checking back periodlically.