Author Topic: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate  (Read 5411 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find a George Wells/Louise Johnson marriage but can't, so it could be that she just took his name and they didn't marry.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyner

you may want to go back to your original post and crop the images you have posted before the copyright team remove them.

You will need to rename them as the system may not allow you to use the same name again.

Only small portions of certificates are allowed for deciphering purposes.

Dawn

Sorry I didn’t realise that, it’s the first time I’ve posted an atttachment. I have just removed them. Am I allowed to crop and have just the middle hand written part of the certificate or should it be smaller than that?

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find a George Wells/Louise Johnson marriage but can't, so it could be that she just took his name and they didn't marry.

I’ve just been doing the same and coming up with nothing.  On my grandads birth certificate it gives his mother’s maiden name as Elizabeth Johnson. On the 1939 register it gives her actual date of birth as 26 Feb 1888 but just searched the bmd registers and getting I’m not getting anywhere with an Elizabeth Johnson being registered in Croydon for then either with a mother’s name as Johnson. Still a mystery.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 March 18 01:12 GMT (UK) »
There’s only two Elizabeth Johnson births in Croydon between 1886 and 1888, both registered December 1888, which wouldn’t fit with a February birth.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 March 18 07:47 GMT (UK) »
You didn’t have to produce a birth certificate to get married until very recently.

Not necessary even now ...you do have to produce proof of ID, but doesn't have to be a birth certificate. A passport is the the most common thing used.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 March 18 07:50 GMT (UK) »
And whilst we are on the subject has anyone asked the GRO for a definitive ruling on this ?

There are prior RootsChat discussions referencing earlier (and apparently more restrictive) guidelines regarding the reproduction of UK BMD certificates, but the latest version now seems to be from May 2014:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/information-management/reproduction-of-birth-death-marriage-certificates.pdf

The key section:

2.3. Reproducing completed forms
You are authorised to reproduce certificates for all purposes other than providing evidence of an event (see 4 below), subject to the restrictions listed below. This may include publishing in a book or magazine, or placing a copy on the internet.

There is also a relevant FAQ answer:

"As long as there are no details about living individuals there is no problem about publishing the images of the certificates on your family tree website.  Any modern certificates would be subject to the Data Protection Act, and would need the permission of any living named person prior to publication."

I haven't found any guidelines specific to the posting of BMD certificates on RootsChat. There is definitely a very active policy prohibiting the posting of other types of paid/copyright information (e.g. 1939 register info) that cannot be found via free channels.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 March 18 08:05 GMT (UK) »
@ Rattus

Thank you for your post.

Yes I am aware of what you have posted which is what prompted me to ask the question in the first place as the information at reply #16 appears to be more restrictive than official guidelines and practice elsewhere. We shall have to wait and see if we get a reply from the poster at reply #16.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
You didn’t have to produce a birth certificate to get married until very recently.

Not necessary even now ...you do have to produce proof of ID, but doesn't have to be a birth certificate. A passport is the the most common thing used.

Yes, I should have been more explicit and included or passport or other form of identification.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
As we now know John William Johnson died between 1888 and 1901

I searched for deaths in the right areas ~(London - as the children were born in Croydon)

June 1886 - JOHNSON  John William  25  Brighton  2b 149   
Sept 1889 - Johnson  John William  44  Wandsworth  1d 361
Jun 1894 - Johnson  John William  28  Pancras  1b 77   
Sept 1895 - Johnson  John William  40  Romford  4a 236   
Sept 1900 - Johnson  John William  30  Paddington  1a 50  .

I also searched for a John William Johnson marrying a Louisa and found a few possibilities

Sept 1884
Baker  Louisa    Chorlton  8c 943   
Johnson  John William     Chorlton  8c 943   

Sept 1881
JOHNSON  John William     Gloucester  6a 418   
MEADOWS  Louisa     Gloucester  6a 418   

The locations don't suit for either - but maybe possibilities still - do you know what John William Johnson profession was?

McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)