Author Topic: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Groom, it certainly does, I am so excited and my mum remembers Kate Street being talked about as a child.  It's amazing how when you thought you had hit that brick wall and could go no further things take a turn for the better.  So glad I tried this site, you're all amazing.

MaureeninNY that is well worth investigating tomorrow, thank you.

I suddenly feel I might be able to go back before 1914 on Elizabeth.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking aloud here, but if her father had died then maybe George Wells was her step-father. She was possibly known by the everyday name of Elizabeth Wells, but when she had to produce her birth certificate for marriage purposes it showed her original birth name and therefore she gave her birth father's name for consistency

You didn’t have to produce a birth certificate to get married until very recently. It is possible she may have been illegitimate and named a fictional father for the first marriage (something frequently done) and named a step father on the second marriage.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Had to be said am drawing blanks for any of the Johnsons or George Wells prior to 1901 - not even likely births in Croydon

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
In 1901:
   473/113/4

at 31 Fernlea Rd Streatham
George Wells  1847 b Brighton

Louisa Wells b 1857 Croydon

Edward Johnson Son-In-Law Single Male 17 1884 b Croydon

Lizzie Johnson Daughter-InLaw b 1888 Croydon

Maureen

That looks very likely that is the family as George's occupation is given as Florist Gardener and on the marriage certificate it is Gardener.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
In 1901:
   473/113/4

at 31 Fernlea Rd Streatham
George Wells  1847 b Brighton

Louisa Wells b 1857 Croydon

Edward Johnson Son-In-Law Single Male 17 1884 b Croydon

Lizzie Johnson Daughter-InLaw b 1888 Croydon

Maureen

This does all fit, on the 1919 marriage certificate George Wells is shown as gardener, which is the occupation on the 1901 census.  Also 31 Fernlea Road is literally around the corner from where her first husband Christopher Harris was living in Hydethorpe Road, a picture is being built !!

Not quite sure why she would be down as a daughter in law on the census but maybe Edward was her brother and the George and Louisa took them in.  Elizabeth named her first daughter Louisa  :'(  I hope there is a lovely story here.

Again, you are all being so helpful, I am so grateful.  Anything else you come up with keep it coming, I can't explain how happy I am,  If anyone would like to view my tree it can be found on Ancestry it is the Joyner Harris family tree and my user name is CaroleFortune it is an open tree.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Daughter-in-law and step daughter were used with the same meaning.

Try finding the Kate St addy on the 1911 if you can.

Stumped as to where everyone was in 1891,too!

Maureen

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Daughter-in-law and step daughter were used with the same meaning.

Try finding the Kate St addy on the 1911 if you can.

Stumped as to where everyone was in 1891,too!

Maureen

Maureen, you are amazing, I didn't know that but it makes sense.  THANK YOU

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyner

you may want to go back to your original post and crop the images you have posted before the copyright team remove them.

You will need to rename them as the system may not allow you to use the same name again.

Only small portions of certificates are allowed for deciphering purposes.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyner

you may want to go back to your original post and crop the images you have posted before the copyright team remove them.

You will need to rename them as the system may not allow you to use the same name again.

Only small portions of certificates are allowed for deciphering purposes.

Dawn

This crops up on here time and time again and yet there does not seem to be a satisfactory answer as to why the whole certificate cannot be shown. Now I am not saying you are right or wrong, what I am asking for is an explanation that can be defended given that full certificates are regularly posted on other sites. And whilst we are on the subject has anyone asked the GRO for a definitive ruling on this ?  Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.