Author Topic: Dating photograph please I. Cox 5 Sandy Hill Woolwich kent  (Read 1611 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Dating photograph please I. Cox 5 Sandy Hill Woolwich kent
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 March 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Online auction site does not have any other CDV's for this photographer either  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Searching through old newspaper adverts of 1880-1899, I can only see a W J Cox, and sometimes J Cox, a printer and stationer of Whitstable. He seems to be a stationer, printer and supplier of photographic albums and illustrations.  His address is neither Sandy Hill nor Woolwich!

Just wondering about the lack of a No 5 on the last census. Could it have become a shop/studio only  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thank you all, that seems to be it, very strange though as it obviously was a proper photographers at one time because of the studio backdrop.
Thanks again for all your help.
Regards Quester.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Thank you so much. How strange that he is listed as a shoemaker. I wonder whether his wife or one of his children was a photographer? So maybe the photo is c 1900 or just before? Regards Quester

A few months ago I came across photos from S Roberts of Leeds. Samuel Roberts was a photographer for abt 10 yrs over the 1881 census period. He sold in 1885. He was a photographers assistant in Blackpool in 1891 and in 1901 he was a tobacconist back in Leeds. He ended up as a butter and cheese maker. So it is quite possible that John Cox is the right person at the right place and that he was a photographer for only a short period after the 1891 census but before 1901 census.

okkool
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
I took a look through the London Electoral Registers and found a listing for James John Cox living at 5 Sandy Hill Woolwich in 1897 and thereafter. In 1895 William John Pyefinch was living at that address and James John Cox was at 68 Earl St

okkool
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Sadly James John Cox is not at 68 Earl Street in 1901.  It is occupied by Richard Harry Childs and his wife Elizabeth.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone,
 So at least I know the photograph is not before 1897 and that is a great help. So many, many thanks.  :)
Regards Quester