Author Topic: Herbaut from UK to Northern France post 1900  (Read 1153 times)

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
Herbaut from UK to Northern France post 1900
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help or point me in the right direction?

My great great aunt, Edith Emily Robinson b1870 Aldbourne, Wiltshire married Albert Herbaut b1869 Paris, France in 1891 Westminster, London. They went on to have 4 children before vanishing off the census returns.

My gran told me they moved to Northern France, I'm pretty sure she mentioned Normandy. One of their sons, Emile Reginald Herbout b1893 (yes, the spelling changes) or Albert W Herbaut b1892 is meant to have been imprisoned in WW1 in a prisoner of war camp. There is another son, simply called Eugene b 1900.

I know it's a true quest given French bureaucracy & lack of details. More than anything I'd love to know where they moved to & what happened to Emile. My Gran passed away 10 years ago & there's no one left on that side of the family  :'(

Thanks in advance.

Suz.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbaut from UK to Northern France post 1900
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have found MANY Herbaut (or Herbault, Herbaux, Herbeaux, Herbout etc..) , forenames Emile and Albert ,made prisonners during WW1. Have a look at the ICRC site.

So , it will take time to sort them out.

You found the family in the English census untill when? Do you know where Emile and Albert were born?

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
The only HERBAUT born  (13 december )1869 in Paris that I could find is Charles HERBAUT son of Timothée, 37 years'old and Euphrasie FAY,32, nb 40 rue Bichat.

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9CF-LFY
 - I don't see a Eugene with them in 1901...

Emile R served in the British army in WWI:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6412803

The name Herbaut seems most common in the areas of Nord and Pas-de-Calais (neither of these are technically Normandy).  Pas-de-Calais has a function where you can search by name military recruitment records (for the vast majority of men when they turn 20) up to 1921:
http://www.archivespasdecalais.fr/Archives-en-ligne/Histoire-d-une-personne/Recrutement-militaire/Recherche-par-nom-de-conscrit

These are indexed by year of matriculation so Albert Herbaut, Classe 1890, would be a man who was 20 in 1890.  This looks very much like your man, despite not being born Paris, because addresses are listed for him in London.

You can see the record for free on above but in summary:
Born 16 May 1870, in Carvin, Pas-de-Calais, resident there in 1890, profession waiter
His father was Albert Theophile Alexandre Herbaut, his mother Florence Chuine, and they were resident Carvin.

He is recorded as having gone "missing" in 1891, being in London, and was declared a deserter in 1892. After that they don't seem to have kept track of him for a few years but there are addresses listed for him in London (1900, 1906, 1908) and Boulogne (1907 and 1913)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
The Military Form says (page 461 and 462) :
He was declared desertor (because he could not present himself in the "caserne" ( military base) where he had to do military training, in 1891 and 1892) , but the army recognized he couln't (it is written: is in London). then he was amnestied.

Addresses in London: 12 january 1900 :16 Charl?ton Street, Portland Place
6 october 1906 Londres, 52 ?Westminster Bridge ?? consulat de Londres
27 june 1907 Boulogne  Rue Tour d'Odre 223
29 january 1908 :London 19 Rozier Street
30 july 1908 : Boulogne- sur -mer 223 rue Tour d'Odre
11 april 1913: Boulogne  12 rue Charles Butor

in 1915 he was stationned in the gas factory of Angoulême until the 31 october 1917 , freed from military service in 1918 10 december  (page 462)

If this Albert is the husband of Edith Emily Robinsinson then you can go and see this :
https://gw.geneanet.org/jmlorthois?n=herbaut&oc=&p=albert+theophile+alexandre
https://gw.geneanet.org/dcrombez?n=herbaut&oc=&p=albert+theophile+alexandre
https://gw.geneanet.org/cosin62?n=herbaut&oc=&p=albert+theophile+alexandre

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 March 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
The man called Augustus HERBAUT, born in Berckshire , 30 in 1901(Census) could be a cousin of Albert or an uncle .
I can see only 3 children: Albert W, Emile R and Edith M

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Blimey! Thank you so much. This is him. So far I only had one 1901 census to go on & nothing more. I'd like to think that he & Edith retired to rural France & are buried in Carvin. We passed through this area a few years ago & were keen to visit Lille in the future.
Regards Suzanne.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
in 1891 he lived 75 ?erwick Street in London  (I cannot read the first letter )

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, Edith's sister Mary also married a waiter from Belgium. I think the girls went to London to work, from Wiltshire.

Mary married Charles C Ewiel Verbregue in 1893, but I know her story. She had three children (two died as babies) & in 1909 married again. Her only son from her first marriage, Philip, went to live with her parents in Wiltshire & formally took on their name of Willoughby. I've never found a death record for Charles.