Author Topic: The cobbler smyllum orphanage  (Read 228 times)

Offline kathleen0969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The cobbler smyllum orphanage
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find out the name of the cobbler who fixed the shoes of the children in smyllum orphanage between 1955 to 1962 he had a hut on the grounds that he worked from

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The cobbler smyllum orphanage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Off the top of my head, I wonder if you could look through trade directories to see who the cobblers in Lanark were at that time. Phone books too, if they had a classified listing. Electoral registers are unlikely to help much unless he actually lived in the grounds.

Some of these are online at sites like Ancestry (I haven't checked for dates/coverage), but the most comprehensive collection is likely to be in Lanark Library - see http://www.slleisureandculture.co.uk/info/89/lanark_library/443/local_history_heritage_and_family_history

If the cobbler had some kind of contract with the orphanage, he might be mentioned in administrative records, if they still exist. There's more on these at http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/LanarkSmyllum/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.