Author Topic: Thomas and Violet Daniels, Hackney  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Violet Daniels, Hackney
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 March 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm - either a slight lack of imagination when naming their children, or the names William and Benjamin were extremely important to them  :)

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 22:23 GMT (UK) »
As a footnote to this, this week, I found a second cousin I didn't know I had on Ancestry; I mentioned I was researching Thomas and Violet and she scanned me the following Gazette newspaper article about Tom's funeral:

TRADERS LAST RESPECTS. Past President of Hackney and District Chamber of Commerce, Mr. Thomas Daniels, was buried at Abney Park Cemetery on Monday.  The funeral, attended by a large number of Chamber of Commerce members, including several other past presidents, left the restaurant at Hackney Road,  Shoreditch, where he and his wife, Vi, kept on her family tradition of over eighty years.  Mr Daniels, president of the Hackney branch in 1960-61, was an active member, dealing with old people's welfare, the disabled and war pensions.  He was also an official of the Kingsmead Youth Club.

The end of the story.  I'm pleased to find out more about Tom and Vi - thank you all Rootschatters for your help.

Offline Jem69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 August 22 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thomas Daniels was my uncle and my grandmother's (Rose Craven née Daniels) brother. I was 10 when he died. Vi was my Aunt. She lived in a flat above their cafe on the Hackney Road until her death.

Offline Jem69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 August 22 09:37 BST (UK) »
Having had a sleepless night thinking about Auntie Vi I remembered that when Tom died she moved in to a flat down the road above a shop which has been many things over the years. I rummaged around my old address books and found her last address which was Flat B, 491 Hackney Road, Bethnal Green E2 9ED.