Author Topic: William charles billington and Gladys travis  (Read 956 times)

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William charles billington and Gladys travis
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am helping my son in law with his family tree who appear to pop in and out of Cheshire and Lancashire. Unfortunately his mother knows little about the family and before I send off for a marriage certificate thought I would ask on here if anyone can help me get further back

William and Gladys were married in Manchester in 1939, I have found two people of similar names ie Charles w  Billington on 1939 register.  On register Gladys was born on 28//11/1919 and William (Charles) 28/2/1914. I think possibly Gladys parents may be Emily mcglaulin and Edward Travis. I am more interested in the Billington family however as I can’t find anything that fits.

Regards

Gill

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William charles billington and Gladys travis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Can you get a birth year or date from their death entries?

Hes not going to be on the 1939 register if hes in the Forces

Marriage was early in the year at Ardwick, St Thomas
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 03:03 GMT (UK) »
William appears to have married and died (in 1995 Manchester, born 28/2/1914) as plain William - perhaps he preferred to be known as Charles which is why he's shown as Charles W. in 1939, as you've detailed,  The birth dates agree, as do the birthdates for Gladys who died 2006 (both died in Manchester).

I don't know if you noticed but there was a John Billington (believe birth day wrong, month/year right) living just 2 doors away from Charles W. and Gladys and wondered if he and William were brothers and I believe they were.  John birth June qtr.1912, and William (no Charles) birth June qtr.1914 - both births in Chorlton, both mmn Lee.

Searching further back, their parents were James Henry Billington (son of Samuel) and Mary Ellen Lee who married 21 Dec.1901 St. Stephen, Salford.  They had a number of children but son John was b.21/5/1912, bp.2/6/1912 Chorlton (and John's birthdate at death is 21/5/1912).   Was hoping that William's baptism would be online too confirming birthdate as 28/2/1914 but alas not (none after John).

However, even if I am right, you are going to need the details from the marriage certificate to confirm.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette thanks for the work you have done. I think I will probably have to get a marriage certificate will certainly look out the information you have given

Pauline did you find he was in forces as never thought of looking there?

Regards

Gill

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick question did anyone come across a William billington whose mother’s maiden name was Haslam?

Thanks

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick question did anyone come across a William billington whose mother’s maiden name was Haslam?

Anyone can now use rge gro site to get mothers maiden name

Thanks
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Billington mmn Haslam birth in the Dec.qtr.1914 Prestwich - however, with a birth reg'd in December qtr. he is not going to be the William you've previously referred to who had a birthdate of 28/2/1914.

You said at the outset that your son in law's mother didn't know much but if William and Gladys married in 1939 are definitely your couple when/where did each of them die? Surely something definite must be known about the deaths of at least about one of them.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette.

My son in law seems to think his grandfather died in Manchester royal infirmary of septacemia and his grandmother also died there of a heart attack.  Before his grandfather he knows nothing about the Billington
Regards

Gill

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

It certainly looks like your link to williams past is right .  Thank you so much

Regards

Gill