Author Topic: Secretary Hand unknown abbreviation  (Read 509 times)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Secretary Hand unknown abbreviation
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I attach part of a record of a legal dispute over a parcel of land in Berwick upon Tweed in 1636. It is written in Secretary Hand and I have circled three instances of an abbreviation which I do not recognise. It looks like the top part of a coat hanger and comes at the end of words. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Andrew Morton

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Secretary Hand unknown abbreviation
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 18 04:31 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at this one several times over the last 24 hours without coming to a definite conclusion.

But after 125 views no-one has ventured an opinion, so (for whatever it's worth) here's mine.

In the first and third instances I believe it's a contraction mark indicating a continuation from the letter c.

First instance:

...gent dec(eased) by the name of...

Does that fit with context?

Third instance:

...that now is ov(er) England &c for & upon...

Here the continuation is:  &c(etera)

I am very conscious that this ampersand doesn't match others visible in the extract.

However the character is an ampersand form used in Secretary.  The position (after the description of a regnal year) is one where an &c is commonly used, to indicate contraction of the list of other kingdoms, defender of the faith and so on.

I don't wish to comment on the middle instance for the simple reason that I don't understand the word after seale.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 18 04:36 GMT (UK) »
The middle part looks like 'is in law dated' but my screen isn't showing it clearly.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 18 04:46 GMT (UK) »
The middle part looks like 'is in law dated' but my screen isn't showing it clearly.

I agree it looks like that, but the problem is that in this hand the letter s has a specific form at the end of words.  See the word is in the third last line - the s looks a bit like a 6.

(The only other examples of s at the end of words are the -es brevigraph on app(er)t(e)n(a)nc(es) and p(re)miss(es).)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying, I was beginning to despair! I agree about 'deceased and I had already come to that conclusion. I think that you're also right about '&c', it seems logical.

My big problem is the words after 'under his hand' and before 'in law dated'. logically you would expect 'under his hand & seale' but the clerk has written 'a' rather than '&'. The next word seems to be 'ssuss' or 'ssuff'. If the latter it might be a contraction of 'sufficient' which would possibly make the passage 'under his hand & seale sufficient [?] in law dated the second day of June...' where [?] is the mystery contraction.

I have attached another screenshot which shows the whole passage.

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 March 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Actually, looking at it afresh, it might say 'a seale is affixed in law dated...'

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 March 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I think you had it right with your first suggestion.  It's all one word:   ssuffic(ient)

It's a common phrase - sufficient in law.

ADDED:

If a Seale is not a mistake, then the meaning seems to be that the key aspect for sufficiency in law is the Seale on the deed.

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Bingo! I think you’ve got it.

‘Under his hand a seale sufficient in law’

Thanks for your help, it’s really good to have someone to kick ideas about with.

Andrew Morton