Author Topic: Copyright question, please?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Copyright question, please?
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
If, say, you have a photo from WW1 (i.e. 1914-1918) that you found in your granny's attic, or you bought from Ebay (other sites are available!) or otherwise acquired, and you post it onto your blog/website, can you then claim copyright on it, please?

I've read the UK Government's pdf file on copyright, but I'm still not clear.

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright question, please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
You cannot claim copyright for anyone elses work unless they were contracted to you.

Malky

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I designed a product comma and then found that it was being mass produced in the Far East. I had the proper copyright protection, but what can I do about 800 million people in the Far East copying it? It might work in the UK, possibly Europe maybe in America but forget the rest of the world. The same goes for your photograph.

Martin

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
As Malky says, you can't claim copyright of the photo itself but I believe it may be possible to claim copyright of the scanned (or photographed) image of the photo.  However, I suspect if this is the case and in the circumstances of a dispute you would have to prove that a 3rd party did not have a copy of the same photo and had scanned it themselves as opposed to making use of your scan.  That said, I am not an expert in that area.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
why don't you simply watermark the image if you don't want it copied/purloined?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
why don't you simply watermark the image if you don't want it copied/purloined?

It's not my photograph.  It's an image I have seen online from WW1 where the website owner is claiming copyright because they have a copy of the photo (either inherited, purchased or sent to them by someone else) and have uploaded it to their website.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
So they may be able to claim copyright (or similar) to the electronic form of the image, but not the original.
If you had a physical (paper/printed) photo of your own from granny's attic, then you are free to scan your own electronic copy.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Providing the original photograph is out of copyright (from its original creation) then we are talking about two different items.
This person can claim copyright in the website which includes the image but they cannot claim copyright in the image itself.

Copyright law varies from country to country and what may be perfectly legal in one jurisdiction contravenes laws in another.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you sought legal advice?
JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.