Author Topic: Alfred Wedgwood  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Wedgwood
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 March 18 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Re Wedgwood Pedigrees.  I do not have a Joseph born in this timeframe that fits. This family seems to have been missed out. Will have another go later and see what I can find.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 March 18 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Father Joseph’s christening.

Joseph Wedgewood
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name: Joseph Wedgewood
Christening Date: 3 April 1852
Christening Place: SKELTON BY GUISBOROUGH,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Joseph Wedgewood
Mother's Name: Frances

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 March 18 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Re Wedgwood Pedigrees.  I do not have a Joseph born in this timeframe that fits. This family seems to have been missed out. Will have another go later and see what I can find.

Pelican, Joseph Snr, a shoemaker, and his family can be found in the census’ I think his wife’s maiden name was Seaton. I can see the family on the ‘51 census, but FamilySearch isn’t showing the  ‘61. In ‘71 Joseph Jnr is with cousins the ‘Ord’ family.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 March 18 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Commonwealth Electoral Rolls
LANGLEY, Frances Mary, Mine rd, Kooumburra, home duties.

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, Mine rd, Kooumburra, home duties.

(Alfred WEDGWOOD was also listed as Mine rd in this Roll)

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, 156, Williamstown rd, home duties.

(Yarraville)

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, Molle st, home duties.

(Oakleigh)

(Oakleigh)

(Oakleigh)

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, Moller st, Se.E. 12, home duties.

(Oakleigh)

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, Moller st, Se.E. 12, home duties.

(Oakleigh)

Also another address, maybe a move this year.

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, Creamery Valley, rd, Toora, home duties.

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, Clayton rd, Clayton, home duties.

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, 386 Clayton rd, Clayton, home duties.

LANGLEY, Frances Mary, 17, Andrew st, Oakleigh, hd.

Directories
1924 Sands PO Directory
LANGLEY, Mrs Frances M, confr, Korumburra.

1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1933, 1935, 1938, 1942 Sands PO Directory
LANGLEY, Mrs Frances M, Moller st, Oakleigh.

Gerry

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 March 18 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar I was referring to the database on my computer that was taken from the "Wedgwood Pedigrees" I was looking for a link that might take them back centuries. I did not make that clear did I!! Grr!!! Sorry.

There is plenty of modern information on here now about Alfred Wedgwood that should certainly help our friend.

Incidentally the Yorkshire Wedgewoods are the only ones historically that have an 'e' in the middle of their name. All the others have Wedgwood.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 March 18 07:52 GMT (UK) »
This is an excellent description of the 1925 edition of "Wedgwood Pedigrees" if anyone wants to read it. http://www.alexisantiques.com/links/wedgwoodfamily.php

It is a rare book these days but might be available in a library somewhere. Inter Library Loan is useful as is International Library loan.

A better edition for the trees is the one I think was published in 1927, gives the trees to the 1925 book.

Offline Joed99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a big thank you to everyone who has responded to my plea for help.

I am overehelmed by your responses and valuable information to say the least.

My aim is to publish my research on the contents of William Rowbottoms diary in due course on the Cleveland and South Durham Family History Society website.

I personally know descendants of Joseph Wedgwoods English family and will pass on the information you have given me. They believed there was some connection to the pottery industry and are ardent about the correct spelling of their surname.

Regards

John

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 March 18 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

Welcome to the Wedgwood researchers. Wedgwood is a microcosm of English genealogy, it encompasses all the facets of English life from the better off to the definitely less well off. It takes most of the occupations and professions from landed gentry to miners and potters of course. It includes Charles Darwin. It includes the beginning of photography. It includes those that emigrated to the far flung parts of the world. Of course it includes Josiah Wedgwood who was the famous potter. A fascinating family to study.

I mentioned "Wedgwood Pedigrees". I see it is including in World Cat, 
https://www.worldcat.org/title/wedgwood-pedigrees-being-an-account-of-the-complete-family- -from-contemporary-records/oclc/23128886
so you might be able to find it in a library somewhere in the world. Even has the very rare 1900 edition, but that was superseded by the 1925 version. I cannot find an edition of the one with all the laid out pedigrees, 1927 I think,  I once found in the Hampshire County Library in Winchester. Sadly they do not have a copy now. It is a big book, I carried it home on the bus and then had over a mile to walk! Copied it all out on large sheets, this was c1964, when computers came in I copied it all out again so I had a digital copy too. My original sheets still exist too.

John Pound Wedgwood had the whole of that book of laid out trees on his site "Wedgwood Pedigrees" but I cannot find that online now, only a reference to it on Philip Richards site "Exciting Wedgwoods" http://familyhistorian.info/exciting/wedgwood/index.html   Philip can be contacted by an email link on that site.

The books are a very scholarly research, very readable, going back into the far distant past of old records so it is pretty accurate. Gives occupations too. They went round graveyards, went into church records etc etc. One thing they did which did bring in a few problems was that they wrote to Wedgwood families asking for their more modern trees. The upshot of that was they had a lot of replies and a lot of good information, but there were blanks where 'scandals' were concerned or the family 'story' given. Philip Richards has gone into the GRO records and checked it all, so he is the modern expert.

The question usually is am I descended from Josiah Wedgwood. Probably not, but could be. All modern Wedgwoods as I said earlier are descended from Gilbert Wedgwood who had a large family. They all left descendants. So all are connected.

I could not find Joseph or Alfred on my database, which was taken from the book, as I said. so Philip Richards is your best bet on that score.

Good luck with your publication of your work on Cleveland and South Durham Family History Society website. Perhaps you can gives us a link later. Would be most interested in reading it. I expect others who have helped on here would too.

Best wishes
Pelican