Author Topic: H Edwards Clarke  (Read 844 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
H Edwards Clarke
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
H Edwards Clarke was considered an authority on all aspects of the greyhound, his first book on the dog appearing in 1949 but so far has proved untraceable in records. This brief bio, which first apeared on a forum a few years back, appears to be the only information to be found about him (if accurate):

"H.Edwards Clarke was a Scot and an outstanding athlete at Edinburgh University. One day as a schoolboy he walked over ten miles to the East Lothian coursing meeting. He was hooked for life, became a famous greyhound writer and a Senior Stipendiary Steward of the N.C.C. He wrote for the Irish Press, The Field and, of course, the Sporting Press. He had a big following in Ireland, and even though he was not afraid to speak his mind on the chasing instinct of our dogs, his sincerity was never in doubt. Pat Holland and others were often in his company but he loved to talk to anyone about pedigrees, especially about Irish/Waterloo Cup lines.'"

Most references give his name as H Edwards Clarke, though some bibliographical sources say the 'H' stands for Herbert. A brief mention in  1989 says he had been involved in the greyhound racing game for fifty years, especially with a Wimbledon race track connection.

But as i say all this information has not helped to identify him,  - on Ancestry, Scottish People site etc. I did find an Herbert Edwards Clarke but he was born and died in Victorian England. I have also contacted a couple of website dealing with greyhound racing etc. but they both say they have never managed to track him down. Another site says he has died with no other information. Curious for someone who seems to have been a well known figure in greyhound circles. This does seem to imply that it may not be his actual name, or a form of it.

I will be grateful for any help that anyone can suggest. Though I am beginning to think thid is another of my mysteries that is unsolvable.

many thanks
John

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: H Edwards Clarke
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
A tiny clue to his origins - in a coursing report from Coquetdale in the Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News of 25 November 1953 he writes “at long last I am coursing again with my foot a mere stride from my native heath”.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Another tiny clue - he suffered a family bereavement in January 1953, causing him to miss a South of England coursing meeting at Druids Lodge.

(Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News, 21 January 1953).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JSGT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
H Edwards Clarke was my great-uncle, so I can confirm he was real! Aside from his well-known writings about greyhounds he wrote a novel called The Best Will Always Do. He was Scottish, born in Edinburgh - brother of the merchant sea captain and ‘war hero’ Henry Sinclair (HS) Clarke – but worked as a tax inspector for the Home Office in London. I’d be very interested to know where I can find writings of his uncollected in book form.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 20 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Harry Sinclair Clarke was born 1909 (to Harry E and Kate Clarke) and died 1989. The 1953 death was the father Harry Edward Clarke.
Found family on 1911 census, H S Clarke only child. A search of births finds a Herbert Edward Clarke born 28 April 1911 in Edinburgh to Harry E and Kate Clarke, who died in Surrey 4 March 1977. All records say his middle name was Edward not Edwards. Not sure of the reason there, but at least I have properly identified him at last.

Thanks
John