Author Topic: Wedding Group Powell 1855-1915  (Read 1809 times)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Wedding Group Powell 1855-1915
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
The attached photo appears to be a wedding?  The bride is, I think, Mary Anne Powell nee Lewis 1857-1942 and the groom William Powell 1855-1915. There is a marriage record for the 10th  November 1875 at Llantilio Crossenny Monmouthshire, possibly St Teilo Church (this is in the right area as children were born in Skenfith. I will need to access Find my past at the local library to obtain the image of the parish record to confirm.  The three adult ladies behind them are their daughters and two sons are in the photo also so cannot be the marriage in 1875. One of the daughters is Agnes 1877-1982 with her hand on her husband, they were married 1904. Can anyone roughly date this photo by the clothes worn and why should the bride and groom IF they married in 1875 have another ceremony , looking at the ages of their grown up children, some 30 years later? Or could it not be a wedding but some other celebration. All suggestions gratefully received.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Group
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think it might well be Edwardian - say 1908-1911.

It would be best to put this on the Photo Board though.

Added - could it be a wedding anniversary?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Here is the marriage cert image of 1875

Copyright image removed

Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, it's not that wedding - the bride's showing as a minor !

Still say it's Edwrdian and you will get more help on the Photo Board.

One of the daughters is Agnes 1877-1982 with her hand on her husband, they were married 1904. Can anyone roughly date this photo by the clothes worn and why should the bride and groom IF they married in 1875 have another ceremony , looking at the ages of their grown up children, some 30 years later? Or could it not be a wedding but some other celebration. All suggestions gratefully received.

The older lady with the bouquet looks quite old- much more than circa 55, so are they grandparents  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the certificate much appreciated. Interesting  to note the bride could not write and there is no actual address where they were living.
It looks like the photo was taken outside someone’s home rather than a church for a wedding or church hall for a reception. Maybe in those days wedding anniversaries included the guests with a button hole and the bride a bouquet?? If indeed it is an anniversary. All a bit strange and difficult to understand what the event is.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Slightly left field...  did Mary Ann remarry after William died in 1915?
I'm assuming you have confirmed details of her death in 1942 (still as Mary Ann Powell)

Mar :)
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Group Powell 1855-1915
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
The year of her death is written down on a list with other family members of BMD dates compiled by a relative many years ago. Having looked on Free BMD there are several recorded deaths in  1942 so hard to pinpoint.

On the back of the photo is written "William Powell and Agnes's mother", Agnes being the one in  the photo with her hand on her husbands shoulder. Strange it says Agnes's mother rather than Mary Anne.
I suppose it is possible this is her second marriage and her second husband is also named the same as her first, William Powell. That said it would be quite strange.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I would say Edwardian too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
This is why I wondered, but expect its a dead end?

copyright image removed
Surname Interests