Author Topic: Railway accident 1867 - anyone have access to Newspaper Archives?  (Read 607 times)

Offline Leashl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Railway accident 1867 - anyone have access to Newspaper Archives?
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Josiah Price (coal porter) was killed in a railway accident in Stratford, London 1867, which orphaned his two daughters (one my GGMother) I wondered if it was the same Josiah Price (coal porter) as the Coroners report September 4th 1869, page 3 in London Stratford Times And Bow And Bromley News And South Essex Gazette. It would be great if someone can check for me. There is a tantalizing except in Google Search...I, io:ham, deputy coroner for W'csi i : : i|iU-. on the Ih. :of Josiah Price, a coal ]inrt'r. ii'ci i''i. wi. ... After the occurrence at St. I'aul's witness saw him in St. Bartholomew's Hospital, Ho said, “ Did you hear of tha accident I met with in reply to a juror, the witness said he felt certain tliat his father used the word “ accident...."

I found this in Railway Archives but no names "A party of men in the employ of Messrs. Waring were engaged in loading rails on to a lorry which stood upon the siding about 30 yards from the facing points; and the driver of the 5h. 50m. p.m. down goods train, which consisted of a tank engine, a two empty and 27 loaded waggons, and a break van, approached Old Ford station, he found the signals were all right for him to proceed, and about 10 yards before he reached the points he noticed that they were open for the siding, and he immediately whistled, shut the regulator, and called out to the men who were engaged in loading the lorry, who, with the exception of two that were on the lorry, had time to get out of the way. The engine of the train, which is supposed to have been running at from 15 to 20 miles an hour, ran against the lorry and broke it to pieces, killing one of the two men and injuring another so much that he has subsequently died. The engine then continued its course along the siding, and next came in contact with a truck of bricks, and was thrown off the rails, and subsequently came in contact with the tender of the ballast engine."

Thanks in advance!

Moderator comment: Edited for content, please do not ask people to ignore the terms and conditions of their subscriptions to sites by doing look-ups for which you don't have a subscription. Please see the penultimate paragraph here.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Hutchinson - Sussex; Underwood - Marylebone; Ensor - Marylebone; Bemmer - Middlesex/Prussia; Groocock - Husbands Bosworth; Hale - Stanstead Abbotss/Brentford; Price - Middlesex;

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Railway accident 1867 - anyone have access to Newspaper Archives?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know, in the 1860s coroner's inquests were usually held very quickly after a death so unless it's a typo an 1869 inquest would unlikely be on an 1867 death.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
You can view these yourself by taking out a free trial on the British newspaper archive web site. Some UK libraries also have access to old newspapers
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
London Evening Standard - 1 September 1869

Refers to the accident as "Saturday" and Josiah was a coal porter at Chelsea Basin.

If your library has access to FindMyPast, then you can see the article for yourself.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
The only death registration between March quarter 1867 and December quarter 1869 (FreeBMD) was in Kensington District, September quarter 1869 - Josiah Mayo Price aged 31.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Then perhaps OP's 1867 WAS a typo....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline unicorn80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I could only find four references for a Josiah Price, coal porter.  Wed 1.9.1869 London Ev. Standard, Friday 3 Essex Standard, Monday 6 Clerkenwell News & Tues 7 Leighton Buzzard Observer.  All articles were exactly the same.

"CAUTION TO JURYMEN.  An inquest was held at St George's Hospital on Saturday by Mr S F Langham, Deputy Coroner for Westminster, on the body of Josiah Price, a coal porter.  Deceased, who was employed at the Chelsea Basin, while fastening a break to a truck going down an incline, slipped beneath the wheels, which passed over his thighs, mutilating him in a shocking manner.  He was taken to hospital but expired soon after admission.  A verdict of accidental death was given"

Hope this is of some interest to you.

Offline Leashl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone! Great help as usual. Case closed.
Hutchinson - Sussex; Underwood - Marylebone; Ensor - Marylebone; Bemmer - Middlesex/Prussia; Groocock - Husbands Bosworth; Hale - Stanstead Abbotss/Brentford; Price - Middlesex;