Author Topic: WWI - What was this man's role?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WWI - What was this man's role?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 March 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
In the early weeks of the war many local militias formed calling themselves whatever they wanted to - it would not be surprising if one called itself the Local District Volunteers. They were not part of the official armed forces until 1917 when, providing they met certain criteria, they were amalagamated into the Volunteer Training Corps with units affiliated with the local county regiment.
They were, in the most part, ununiformed, an armband was as far as they went - but a veteran of the Boer War who could still fit into his uniform could well make use of it.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline pennyworth1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 March 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I think having looked at the memoirs of this man's daughter he probably had an exemption from service as he was not only 39 at the start of the war, and married, but was also employed on the railways. I think it is reasonable to assume that he was a local volunteer before the official volunteer service began.  Thanks again.

Offline pennyworth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 March 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your help.  I now think, having read his daughter's memoirs that he was a volunteer locally before the official volunteer service started.  I am amazed at all the help given by you all - thank you so much.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 March 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
The uniform is not Boer War but VTC so he may not have had any previous military experience.  The VTC were forbidden to wear Regular Army uniform and initially in 1915 were not even allowed to wear khaki cloth but encouraged to wear Lovat green. 

The VTCs independent status ended in July 1916 and became the Volunteer Force.  The  (unpopular) armbands were removed.

The volunteers were offered to join the Volunteer battalions of the Regular Army wearing khaki uniforms in the same pattern as the proper army.  So your picture dates 1915-early16. After that date the armband was gone and the uniform swapped for a khaki one.