Author Topic: Same informant on both deaths? 1903 McGillivray  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Same informant on both deaths? 1903 McGillivray
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Trying to decide if the signature of William McGillivray (Brother) is the same person that signed the next death entry below, as William McGillivray (Cousin).  Just cant quite make my mind up.  Deaths registered 6 days apart.  Common surname for the area so just cant be sure if its one person or two!
Thanks.
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
Re: Same informant on both deaths? 1903 McGillivray
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Trying to decide if the signature of William McGillivray (Brother) is the same person that signed the next death entry below, as William McGillivray (Cousin).  Just cant quite make my mind up.  Deaths registered 6 days apart.  Common surname for the area so just cant be sure if its one person or two!
Thanks.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's the register entry so all the handwriting belongs to McBeth the Registrar. If you prod about a bit at the two deceased (1901 census and their birth dates) you nay manage to unpick the knot. Good luck
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's the register entry so all the handwriting belongs to McBeth the Registrar. If you prod about a bit at the two deceased (1901 census and their birth dates) you nay manage to unpick the knot. Good luck

Its under the heading of 'signature of informant', where I have seen 'x' marks the spot before, for those who can't sign/write?  Attaching another example; these all look like different signatures as opposed to one registrar signing their names for them?  The other reason I suspect its not McBeths writing is the way in which he signs a 'G' in his initials, is different to the way he has done the 'G' in Mc'G'illivray.... interesting comment though, I certainly hadnt thought along those lines before?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me like it is the same William signing as informant in both entries.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Monica.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I see what you mean, Scotsquinne! My bad! - mind you, it helps a bit to see more of the page. In which case, I'd be inclined to say that the informant is the same bloke. I wonder if they all lived together or if there were just a lot of them about?
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Quite randomly, the film "Kind Hearts and Coronets" passed through my mind. ;)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I see what you mean, Scotsquinne! My bad! - mind you, it helps a bit to see more of the page. In which case, I'd be inclined to say that the informant is the same bloke. I wonder if they all lived together or if there were just a lot of them about?

Wasnt quite sure how much of the page I'm allowed to show without getting a slap on the wrist.  They were def neighbours but have my suspicions as to whether they actually lived together if the 'cousin' connection can be proved?  I was originally looking at two brothers and a sister who died, (all over 50years old, all single) all within the space of a 1-2 weeks of each other, those 3 I know lived together, but days prior to that a female McGillivray entry signed by her 'brother', who went on to sign the next entry as 'cousin' of ....  so 4 McGillivrays one after the other on the register, all with the same cause of death too - pneumonia.  There were a lot of McGillivray families in the area at the time, all using the same Christian names too, its been a bit of a 'mare trying to figure out who is who!  :o

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 March 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »