Author Topic: Thomas WILLARD - prison record  (Read 1007 times)

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas WILLARD - prison record
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
WILLARDS AGAIN!!

This is a report from: THE SUSSEX ADVERTISER, published in Lewes TUESDAY, March 1, 1864.

On Friday February 26 at Hurst Green Petty Sessions:
THEFT OF APPLES
   Thomas and Charles Willard, two lads both under 16, were charged with stealing 3 gallons of apples, value 1s, the property of Mr. James Dunn, Farmer, at Salehurst, on the 5th February.
   Prosecutor said:--I had some apples in a room adjoining my oast-house.  On the 5th February I found 3 gallons of apples in a bag in my oast-house, and on watching them in the evening saw the two prisoners come to the oast and take them away.  I accused them of theft which they acknowledged.  The oldest prisoner was in my employ.
   Their worships sentenced the elder boy to 14 days imprisonment with hard labour, and ordered P.C. Bexhill to give the younger 8 strokes with a birch rod.

Thomas Willard b.1847 - d.1888, was my Grandfather's (George Henry Willard) Father.  I assume that as the theft of apples took place in Salehurst, Sussex and the Hurst Green Petty Sessions were also in Sussex, Thomas would have been taken to Lewes Prison, Sussex for his 14 days imprisonment. 
Is there a possibility that his photograph was taken at the prison? 
Where would I find Court and Prison records linked with the case of Thomas and Charles Willard? 
Three gallons of apples, how many apples or what volume would be occupied by this quantity?

I would appreciate any help, Thank you.

Best Regards

Roy Willard

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS WILLARD - PRISON RECORD
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
A bucketful would probably be about two gallons.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
The volume of 3 gallons is of course 3 gallons, or 13.6383 litres. The size of a builder's bucket. Like this one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/builders-bucket-black-3-gallon-14ltr/64253?_requestid=122544
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas WILLARD - prison record
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
iluleah
Geoff-E
ShaunJ

Thank you for your replies, sorry for taking so long to respond.

I guess that with regard to the 'Apples' it is best to think in terms of a 2 gallon or 3 gallon bucket because I can picture the dimensions.

Prison records, I should have remembered that an awful lot of records would be held by the Sussex Record Office at 'The Keep Brighton'.  A visit there is on my summer list of places to go to along with the National Archives and Bletchley Park.

One more point with regard to Prison Photographic records, when would that practise have started at Lewes Prison?

Thank you again for your help.

regards

Roy
Roy Willard

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 March 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I have chased prison records for a person for decades, TNA inform me they are at the local records office and the local records office tell me they are at TNA...so I wish you luck.
TNA The prisoners' photograph albums (in volumes PCOM 2/290 and PCOM 2/291)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/1-9-million-historic-criminal-records-published-online-for-the-first-time/ and state "crime and punishment records" doesn't mean "prison records"

In so far as photos, there are photos of those people who were transported, so highly likely prisons photographed the prisoners/convicts
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
iluleah

I guess I am clutching at straws here, I have found very little about THOMAS WILLARD in my searches, just information from Census, Land Valuation Act and odd newspaper clips. 
Anyway Thank you for your help again.
Best regards
Roy

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 March 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
iluleah

I guess I am clutching at straws here, I have found very little about THOMAS WILLARD in my searches, just information from Census, Land Valuation Act and odd newspaper clips. 
Anyway Thank you for your help again.
Best regards
Roy

We all clutch at straws in our research and it only takes finding one and you can have a break through.
When I was looking for my man I searched the British newspaper collection and found several additional reports which gave me other bits of info and other associated names which I researched and found additional information ( relating to my man) it sort of gave me a picture of his life before, during and after, then I made contact with the church in the village he lived in and found they were doing a history event and the guy agreed to look in the parish chest for me ( as well as look for his name in all/anything that was loaned to them for the event) In the parish chest was found a census done by the  vicar ( between the national census) which had lots of added details about all the families, all their children, who they married, where they moved to etc etc also someone loaned their village PC note book ( so in private hands and not available for anyone to research) and his name came up in that as that PC had arrested him........... so very useful......so keep clutching.

Although I just want his prison record and that photo, like you do ::)