Author Topic: German Headings on International Red Cross POW papers Any help please  (Read 1100 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Headings on International Red Cross POW papers Any help please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Makes total sense, I've seen the somewhat eccentric listings before!

Seeing the list helps to answer your queries.  What you read as Kohle is actually Kehle (throat).  That column was often used to indicate "unwounded", "wounded", on the same page appear "R Ellbogen" (right elbow), "L Schulter" (left shoulder) etc.  Indicates he had been wounded (presumably) in the throat area.  As he was repatriated with a shoulder injury one presumes it affected his throat also.

Secondly, the August date is the date the list was copied (Copie at the top).  It starts at 33662.  There are two list numbers, it relates to English prisoners at the POW camp Langensalza and there are three dates indicating when it was sent from the camp, when it was received in Vienna and when it was despatched from Vienna.  All these dates are indeed after he was repatriated.  Having seen something like this before, the best that one can do is say that it has probably been compiled for other lists and the list isn't of men at the camp on any of the days noted but lists those who are/were there.  Frankly as your man clearly came home on 2 Jun having been taken on 24 March, I wouldn't concern myself with what look like anomalous dates. Saint-Simon has a hyphen by the way.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: German Headings on International Red Cross POW papers Any help please
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 March 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help . All is explained. Well nearly! Barbara