Author Topic: Find my past - Global tree  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Find my past - Global tree
« on: Friday 09 March 18 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone
I  have been looking at the new thing on the Find my past site. At present, you can search names and it will show you some trees showing same or similar people.
I picked 6 people on my extended tree where I  have questions and guess what - on 5 of the corresponding trees, I have a discrepancy with what is shown. There is no title on the tree and no way of contacting the owner, maybe that comes later.
I haven't found a way of putting my tree there either and there is scant information on it as well.
Comments?
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
Re: Find my past - Global tree
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
I contacted them about this as the pop up keeps going over the search boxes!

According to them, the global tree is actually from familysearch website and I have looked at that tree and as it is a collaboration has many errors on it. It is apparently on beta mode on findmypast at the moment.

Findmypast have a lot of records on their site from familysearch, which is not made very clear that is the origin of the record. A lot of familysearch information comes from personal trees, including those on there that they have incorporated from Ancestry website, and therefore can be incorrect data.

It is not something I will be using.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I think Findmypast have made a bit of an error in advertising their "global tree".... newcomers to genealogy are going to assume that it's "fact" and blindly follow it.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I tried the FindMyPast tree out by putting a few of my ancestors names in, and they all came back with errors so feel sorry for anyone who uses it and believes it come what may .........
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.