Author Topic: Service numbers  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Service numbers
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Here's some info about the Silver War Badge
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

In my post above I pasted the activity of the battalion for the war in it's entirety. William would not have been part of that activity after his discharged date. I was not suggesting he re enlisted.

Offline Flowed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Ok. Understood. Thanks Gwil. I've just found out that the badge reads For King and Country. Services Rendered.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 March 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
In addition to his SWB, his service entitled him to the 194-1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.  They are all recorded on his medal card attached.  The card gives the date he went overseas on the way to Gallipoli which accords with this account which will be of interest http://www../8th%20batt.htm. The war diaries referred to are those for the later deployment in France.  The war diary for the Gallipoli period is included in the brigade diary at
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557469 which has unfortunately not been digitised.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Flowed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
WOW....thanks A LOT MaxD for the info and the research addresses. I had no idea any medals were involved. That's awesome to know.
Thanks so much for your interest and help everybody. I am so much further ahead than I was this time yesterday. And the young man in our family who has inherited Grandad's SWB is overwhelmed to know the precious history behind it.

Offline Flowed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again. I realise I may not be able to get a definitive answer to the following questions, but here goes. Best guess is fine.

I've done some digging since the last posting, and when I add the findings to the info you gave me I find that granddads brigade :-
         --took part in the 3rd Battle of Krithia (6-13 Aug 1915) and thereafter and for the rest of the Gallipoli campaign they were involved in trench warfare including around Fusilier Bluff.
         --Evacuation from Gallipoli ...28th Dec.1915
         --Returned to Egypt via Mudros (on Island of Lemnos)...January 1916 where they were      employed in defence of the Suez Canal.
         --Grandad discharged from the army, wounded, 4 months later on 30 May, 3 months short of the battle at Ramani against the Ottoman empire on the Sinai Peninsula (so wounds were not inflicted there).

I'm assuming then that his wounds may have been inflicted at Gallipoli, and my question is....was it common then for injured men to remain in overseas hospitals for that length of time before being discharged or sent home? Did most recovery time happen while still overseas? And at what point were men usually discharged.....when deemed unable to continue as a soldier, or on arrival back in the homeland?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Starting at the end, discharge took place in UK but knowing how long he spent in hospital overseas and how long at home I would not like to guess, much would depend on the severity of the wounding.   There are all sorts of scenarios, each probably as valid as the rest:
Wounded at Gallipoli, evacuated by hospital ship to Egypt while Gallipoli still going on, evacuated to England, discharge.
Wounded on the Suez Canal (there were minor engagements before Romani, there didn't have to be a named battle going on for folk to be wounded), hospital there and later back home.
The length of time between the end of the Gallipoli campaign and his discharge suggests either severe wounding there that took a long time to treat or wounding after Gallipoli at who knows where/when.
Not really a best guess, just some ramblings!  Proof of any scenario- unlikely, I lean to the after Gallipoli scenario.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Flowed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thought so. Good to get a second opinion. Many thanks  :D