Author Topic: Sim Builders and Architects, 19th Centry London  (Read 2399 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sim Builders and Architects, 19th Centry London
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 18 09:12 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census HO107  1473  106  9

William Sim, Head, 35, Architect Surveyor, born Aberdeen, Scotland (as transcribed FindMyPast) + family

Offline Galia72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Shaun - already have that and it doesn't help with William's father

Offline Galia72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Am overwhelmed with the responses and kindness, and having problems replying individually because unfamiliar with the database. I have all the census details re William (including the 1841, where his name was misspelt), and lots of newspaper advertisements and articles, including the entertaining one about the burglary, and bankruptcy details.I actually provided a lot of the material for the Irish architects entry.

Forfarian : are you related in some way? William married twice, the second time to my g-g-g-grandmother, Eliza Edwards. Shaun J posted the marriage entry, but it doesn't help. Robert died at 19. He may have been named after William's father, but he may also have been named after Robert Sim, with whom William shared premises at one stage. I've checked the wills of the older Sims, and they weren't close enough for a mention or a bequest. Did extensive research on the implications of Buccleugh, with hopes of a family castle, and came to the conclusion that either William or Eliza were fond of Walter Scott's novels. Huson's middle name was Walton. I have never been able to find a death for his mother - a lot of the guesses on Ancestry are absurdly wrong. Don't think William was illegitimate -just that the information wasn't recorded where we can currently find it. I've spent a fortune on Scotlands People!