Author Topic: Are most people not interested in family trees?  (Read 11911 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are most people not interested in family trees?
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 08 April 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
myfamily tree has several dukes in it mostly Campbell',s hamiltons, Lord Forbes and just as many people who have worked as tanners, tailors travelling ones as sheriffs running estates for their laird as in William laidlaw.who was sheriff for the dukes of Buccleuch/Scott family even found a couple of service together her surname was baron I cannot remember his name.unless it was the sameand also distillery workers who took up gsardening as a ast-time when laid off sometimes fo themselves and also for others.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 09 April 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
Ancestors who lead very fruitful lives will always be more interesting than ones who never ventured more than a mile from their birthplace and were a labourer all their lives. Although they are still an ancestor, and they helped feed the country with their ag lab work.

Ancestors who lead very fruitful lives also tend to leave a better paper trail!

Something to bear in mind when we think about what we'll leave behind ourselves.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 09 April 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
in reply to the person ho suggested that they should bury us with a toe stuck out just in case anyone wants to do a DNA test in future years. I have a tray which states and I quote
to my critics:
when I'm in a sober mood I worry, work and think
when i'm in a drunken mood I gamble play and dink,
 but when my moods are over.
and my time has come to pass. I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world
may kiss my ass.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Sea Dog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Marcie I do so like your poem.
I am new to the forum having started very late due to the fact of being told "you won't get anywhere as your grandfather was an orphan" but thirty years later I started.
Our children are not interested, they just pay me lip service when I inform them of a relation of long ago.
We are off to Northampton Thursday as I have found out that the Dixon's were in a village called Kings Cliffe and many were wood turners.
But I can at least document the information and in years to come someone might say "I'm glad old Great Grandad Dixon did that.
Dixon; Freshwater; Flack;