Author Topic: Are most people not interested in family trees?  (Read 11878 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Are most people not interested in family trees?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Call him what you like - you can choose friends but not your family.

Think you are far too hung up on this and I agree wholeheartedly with Rosie in that genealogy is a hobby which I wouldn't necessarily expect everybody else to enjoy.  After all that is why there are clubs/forums for like minded people.

I would never join anything to do with say stamp or coin collecting  - each to his own.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
My trigger was to verify the several questionable stories that came directly from family members about my, and the origins of others, within my ancestor list. Interestingly, most turned out to be untrue, with a very few exceptions. Now, I just add data based on what I find incidentally when distant relations die.

Malky.

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
A friend of mine had done a very large family tree and connected with relations in other countries.
She had a terminal illness and asked me who would she give the tree information to.
My friend said that none of her immediate family had any interest. I suggested to give to one relation who had shown interest. Not sure what she did in the end.
Same friend helped me in my search. May She Rest in Peace.

Jfch

Offline Intevel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »

Think you are far too hung up on this and I agree wholeheartedly with Rosie in that genealogy is a hobby which I wouldn't necessarily expect everybody else to enjoy.  After all that is why there are clubs/forums for like minded people.

I would never join anything to do with say stamp or coin collecting  - each to his own.

Pheno

How can you say I'm too hung up when you're also interested in genealogy? Isn't that a contradiction because you think the way I think is wrong but then you get to have your own interest?

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes I saw that Rosie :)

I don't recall being that sensitive to other people's attitudes in my 30s :-\

Well should I call him my ''sort of friend?''

But the problem is I would get banned if I continued to argue with you because people like you would get sensitive. People are such hypocrites.

You're very unlikely to get banned just for disagreeing with someone on this site! We're (usually) very friendly and welcoming of other people's views. Calling someone a hypocrite isn't very friendly, but I doubt whether it will get you banned.

We all have different approaches to our genealogical searches. Personally, I don't have much interest in getting to know second and third cousins, apart from being able to fit them into the overall picture, and finding out if they have any new information about our joint ancestors.

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »

Pheno

How can you say I'm too hung up when you're also interested in genealogy? Isn't that a contradiction because you think the way I think is wrong but then you get to have your own interest?

Pheno can answer for herself, but I think it's pretty clear what she means - you're too hung up on what your friends think about genealogy, not that you're too hung up on your hobby. Don't turn everything into an argument,  just enjoy your genealogy in whatever way you want, as we all do.

Mike

Offline Intevel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 March 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »

Pheno

Pheno can answer for herself, but I think it's pretty clear what she means - you're too hung up on what your friends think about genealogy, not that you're too hung up on your hobby. Don't turn everything into an argument,  just enjoy your genealogy in whatever way you want, as we all do.

Mike

Do you think you can respond to me about my cousin on my other thread?

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 March 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike, that was precisely what I meant - why get hung up about how to introduce somebody or how you are introduced.  Do what you like and if you are offended by what they introduce you as say something or ignore it.

I am definitely hung up about genealogy - too much so to spend any more time discussing this I'm afraid.- - want to be off doing some record searching.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Intevel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 March 18 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike, that was precisely what I meant - why get hung up about how to introduce somebody or how you are introduced.  Do what you like and if you are offended by what they introduce you as say something or ignore it.

I am definitely hung up about genealogy - too much so to spend any more time discussing this I'm afraid.- - want to be off doing some record searching.

Pheno

Well that's weird to me. If you're okay with getting introduced by a friend as a ''somewhat of a friend'' then that's your prerogative. Can you post in my other thread?