Author Topic: Raworth of Eakring  (Read 1079 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Raworth of Eakring
« on: Friday 09 March 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas Raworth married 22nd Sep 1729 to Elizabeth Thompson in St Nicholas, Nottingham. By licence, both bride and groom are from Eakring.
I cannot find a baptism for this Thomas and wondered if anything would be on the licence- father maybe?
There is a baptism at Eakring on 26 Mar 1706 parents John & Elizabeth father a clerk , but there is also a burial the following month for  Thomas father John a clerk. Did John & Eliz. baptize another Thomas that I cannot find?
Any help at all please would be very welcome. I have gone bozz eyed over this one ::)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Raworth of Eakring
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 September 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Larkspur,

I have a copy of Phillimore's Abstracts of Marriage Licences and have just had a look for you. Thomas RAWORTH and Elizabeth THOMPSON did indeed get married by license. The entry in Phillimore is disappointingly short and uninformative.   

1729, Sept 22  Thomas RAWORTH of Eakring, husb., 22, and Elizabeth THOMPSON,spr., 25, at St. Nicholas.

Sorry not to be able to be more helpful.

Janeada

Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 September 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

My index of Nottinghamshire baptisms has one for Thomas RAWORTH son of John & Elizabeth 23rd Nov 1777 at Eakring St Andrew. As John RAWORTH is described as "clerk" I have also looked at the CCed web site Clergy of the Church of England Database.  It doesn't list a John RAWORTH as Rector at Eakring but there is one that dies at Bilsthorpe in 1715, he apparently married Elizabeth MOMPESSON.  William MOMPESSON (the one who was at Eyam) was the incumbent at Eakring around this time. 

Although the indexers are very careful you will need to check the baptism in the parish register.  The Clergy database cna be found at http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/

Good hunting,

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. Sorry I did not reply to the first, but only discovered it when the second one came!!
 I was aware of the Mompesson connection. I have the NFHS cds. I cannot see that in a generation my branch would have gone from Clerk to ag lab, though I suppose stranger things have happened.
The baptism at Eakring 26 Mar  1706 for a Thomas, son of John & Elizabeth ( father a clerk)  has a burial the following month. I was looking for another baptism for a Thomas around 1707.

The 1777 baptism you quote does not have an occupation for the father.His parents are more likely to be the John  Raworth and Elizabeth Johnson who married 18 Aug 1770 at Eakring.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley